Mid Wales Hospital, nr Talgarth, Wales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold to a Doctors Wife in 1999,the highest bid at the time Mrs Bailey made her bidwas £365,000, with the next highest at £280,000,so it is unlikely that the advice given by the agentwas based on direct reference to other bids.

This info was from the National Audit office.

Thanks for the background info Shads.
That's a scandalous price in me opinion! :mad: Think about all the people that have lost their jobs when the place closed -seems like one person will profit at many people's expense!!! :mad:

Lb:cool:

Hi, been to the Mid Wales but live in Talgarth.

Theres an interesting video link here from a current affairs programme in Wales:

Click on: http://www.itvlocal.com/wales/politics

then on Wales This Week
then on 24th Anniversary show 24/09/07, and there is a piece on the current hospital state.

cheers.

Ta for sharing that there link Red Dragon -very interesting :)

Nice one, i've seen pics of this place before but these ones really show how much there is to see. I really want to go there now!

Well worth a trip over there matey. Would make it sooner rather than later though, judging by the progress of converting the smaller outbuildings.
Probably the best condition Asylum I've seen too :)
Thanks for your comments.

Thanks KA! :)
(though I plan on having only 1 wedding, as to have anymore would make me a ruined man!!) :lol:

Myself and my wife had 2 weddings :)

One pagan one for all our family and friends, which we consider our proper wedding (June 2004), then one in a registry office exactly a year later to make it legal (June 2005) :)

Good luck with your wedding, best wishes to you and yours.

Myself and my wife had 2 weddings :)

One pagan one for all our family and friends, which we consider our proper wedding (June 2004), then one in a registry office exactly a year later to make it legal (June 2005) :)

Good luck with your wedding, best wishes to you and yours.

Many thanks K :)

Light, do you mean the ones hat would have been there originally or that have been removed more recently? Whichever, no I have'nt!

Why's that I wonder?

THanks lightbuoy for a great set of images!!,As soon as i saw your post i thought of a good freind of mine who was an engineer at this place in the early 80s.We have oftern spoken about it and he can tell some tales about this hospital. Some funny and some spinechilling, he has often said in conversation that he would like to take me to see it as it is quite a place. Sadly he now lives in dover so i dont see him a lot. Apon seeing this post i telephoned him to take a trip down memory lane on his computer!. The upshot being we spent the next two and a half hours deep in conversation, the pipes and brackets you see in one of lightbuoys early shots were tightened and painted yearly by him!.He also told me he has an item that would make entry rather easy!. I am now verry tempted to take a look at this lovley building before it is loses its soal for good.Thanks again lightbuoy and can i offer you my warmest congrats on your good news!.:)

Light, do you mean the ones hat would have been there originally or that have been removed more recently? Whichever, no I have'nt!

Why's that I wonder?

Well, I imagine that the chimney stacks were removed when the fireplaces became redundant -although I must say that usually the chimneys are left. So perhaps they became unsafe? Removing the stacks for any other reason would be rather costly me thinks! (I only noticed when we were having a wander around on the way out -thinking to myself "funny, those patches of newer looking slate on the roof"!!!) :rolleyes:

Lb :cool:

THanks lightbuoy for a great set of images!!,As soon as i saw your post i thought of a good freind of mine who was an engineer at this place in the early 80s.We have oftern spoken about it and he can tell some tales about this hospital. Some funny and some spinechilling, he has often said in conversation that he would like to take me to see it as it is quite a place. Sadly he now lives in dover so i dont see him a lot. Apon seeing this post i telephoned him to take a trip down memory lane on his computer!. The upshot being we spent the next two and a half hours deep in conversation, the pipes and brackets you see in one of lightbuoys early shots were tightened and painted yearly by him!.He also told me he has an item that would make entry rather easy!. I am now verry tempted to take a look at this lovley building before it is loses its soal for good.Thanks again lightbuoy and can i offer you my warmest congrats on your good news!.:)

Hi BW,

Thanks for sharing that with us :) Good to hear that the pics have been useful -guess that is a part of what DP is here for. Do you think that your Engineer friend would mind sharing some of his memories here on DP. Sure sounds interesting!!! It's been a good couple of months since I visited MWH, but if you like, I can share me limited knowledge of the place ;) -PM me for more info.
Many thanks for the congrats -much appreciated!:)

RE: Chimneys

Cheers for the guestbook comment, I do now see it! That's an incredible amount of chimneys they had then and not one now! I looks more institutional I think with them, like some sort of workhouse or something, I don't know.

I can't believe I hadn't spotted that, I can now see the newer slates and the white marks where the water had run down of the chimneys them onto the roof.

Thanks for that! But still, bizzare. I do have a photo of a room which shows a blocked up chimney breast, I'll put it up soon.

Hi BW,

Thanks for sharing that with us :) Good to hear that the pics have been useful -guess that is a part of what DP is here for. Do you think that your Engineer friend would mind sharing some of his memories here on DP. Sure sounds interesting!!! It's been a good couple of months since I visited MWH, but if you like, I can share me limited knowledge of the place ;) -PM me for more info.
Many thanks for the congrats -much appreciated!:)

Will be phoning him near the end of the week,im sure he will be more than happy to post a few memories on the site, he is quite into all things sub brit as there is an abundance of ww2 / cold war instalations where he is living in dover. On another note i might be able to coax him down to visit the site!.

Hey

Hey, were new here, but we went to Talgarth last night and (even though we drove for hours to get there) didn't go in because there were lights on in a couple of the top windows along with a car and a couple of bikes outside.

Checking on here today, you said that that part of the building is occupied. How occupied is it? Did the owners mind you having a look around, or did you just avoid them?

We reeeeeaaalllly wanna have a look round before it gets demolished/converted etc, so any help or info on Talgarth Hospital would be great. Thank you!!! :mrgreen:

Hey, were new here, but we went to Talgarth last night and (even though we drove for hours to get there) didn't go in because there were lights on in a couple of the top windows along with a car and a couple of bikes outside.

Checking on here today, you said that that part of the building is occupied. How occupied is it? Did the owners mind you having a look around, or did you just avoid them?

We reeeeeaaalllly wanna have a look round before it gets demolished/converted etc, so any help or info on Talgarth Hospital would be great. Thank you!!! :mrgreen:

Hi Foxclub,

Unfortunately you aren't likely to have much luck in exploring this place now. I was there recently and all the interesting parts are bricked up internally.

Mr. B

Ta for the update Mr. B.

Hi Foxclub,

The lights on and vehicles parked outside was probably the occupied part that we saw when we were last there (the former Nurses' Quarters next to the Main Hall). Shame about parts being bricked up :( Should help preserve the building though -hopefully.

Lb:jimlad:

Was this the part you saw was occupied Foxclub?

The converted and occupied former Nurses's Residence (Main Hall behind)
DSCN3030.png

thanks for the replies! urm yeh thats where there was a couple of lights on , on the top floor.. the bottom floor was still derelict and unused.....

Latest posts

Back