Penarth Housing Estate

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not my thing (UE wise) but you do have a nice collection of pictures to show it to us.

Last edited:
Obviously I speak for myself here but the interest I have in this place is based on the videos I have seen on youtube. Previous residents talking about their happy memories, their children growing up, family milestones taking place there.

I have walked into flats and seen baby style wallpaper still perfectly on the wall and that's what makes it interesting for me, being a father of 2 (almost 3) I have been able to picture what it would be like if I owned one of those properties.

All in all, I have about 2000 photographs from almost every flat within the remaining part of the estate and even today I found more. The place is very interesting but the biggest shame is that it has been standing there for over 10 years empty when the residents could have remained for a while longer.

I too will miss this place when it has gone but I feel that it's something that should have been done a long time ago.

Thank you for your kind comments on my photos too!

I have seen a few reports on this site and found them all enjoyable, Have the copper fairies visited yet?:lol:
Thanks for Posting.

I have seen a few reports on this site and found them all enjoyable, Have the copper fairies visited yet?:lol:
Thanks for Posting.

Yes big time mate. In fact it was in the press not too long back that the council security patrols (never seen them mind) stopped a truck loading mental up from there. Oh and boilers, kitchens and everything else you could want from a 12 year old derelict council estate :lol:

I personally find this place never ending and enjoy it every time I go there.

Inside the last one...

The house of the last remaining resident of the Billy Banks Estate

Ok so I thought it would be fitting to enter the house of the last remaining tenant of the Billy Banks Estate.

The council spent £70,000 securing the Billy Banks Estate with High Security Fences, the type that like to keep your balls as a trophy when you climb them. However, they decided to only do parts of the estate and made them very easy to get around if you paid any attention to their layout.

Anyway, I got a little spooked out at one point and the photographs that are shown below are the result of rushing around the place. The thing that freaked me out...a gas bottle in the middle of a flats living room that stank of gas. I didn't fancy hanging around to long.

The photographs

DSCF5869.JPG

DSCF5870.JPG

DSCF5873.JPG

DSCF5876.JPG

DSCF5878.JPG

DSCF5881.JPG

DSCF5877.JPG

DSCF5882.JPG

DSCF5883.JPG

DSCF5886.JPG

DSCF5887.JPG

DSCF5888.JPG

DSCF5890.JPG

DSCF5891.JPG

DSCF5893.JPG

Sorry about the quality of these photographs but hope you like them none the less.

Thanks Foxy! I expected the property to be a little more well maintained but I suppose after 12 years of being one of only 15 remaining tenants, it wasn't going to be a luxury apartment!

I'm still waiting for the travellers to leave to document the building behind them but the place seems a little on edge at the moment, after all, they are all about to be forced to move.

Thanks again ;)

i went here to do a few photos and chickened out! this place gives me the creeps big time i legged it back to my car!! i was walking about there and could not get in anywhere but could hear people inside and freaked me out!! well done you, am glad i get to see what it looks like without going in - what a pansy i am!
thank you x

This has been an interesting view. You took some awesome photos there. Can't believe there's a whole estate abandoned though! Incredible and for 10 years to. We get the odd building abandoned around these parts but not a whole estate.

I thought I'd google this place because I had no clue where it was and I found this story posted on BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11141864 - This was posted in 2010 talking about redevelopment but yet going by your photos they haven't even touched the place still a year later! Terrible.

bonniemcprice, It is quite a freaky place at certain times. I went there once, I think it was to take the photographs of the last flat, and there were a group of kids coming into the same building as I was in - about 15 of them.
My answer, make as much noise as possible and make sounds like a perverted drunk man. Worked very well :lol:

EmZ690, Thanks for your comments! The place has just been standing there with nothing being done to it. Even though the place is now fully empty (apart from travellers) the developers have still left it standing and when I asked for a date last week, the answer was, we will knock it down sometime next year but we don't know when.

It's a shame when you think that the families there could have remained in their homes for a few more years.

Drove past it again the other day whilst around there on my travels and they are starting to tear things down. Floors brought up, some walls knocked down to allow entrance to their vehicles and for some reason they are still spending money on trying to secure parts of it. The place looks worse than Iraq at the moment!

Photo's to follow hopefully.

They look horible, but I want to be there... Could posibily be the English/Welsh version of the Cape Flats!

P.s my first post... love the site

Last edited:
Back