Racal Electronics.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After many recce's to find a way back onto the site, I chose Easter Sunday (8/4/07) to try out the most promising which is through a live site. At first I was a little dismayed to find signs of activity and the sound of hammering, but there was no-one in sight though, so I walked through onto the access route and was soon clambering up the river bank. Easy!
The first thing I did was to try and access the factory, but sadly the door that was open on my first visit is now firmly locked. Despite that, the grounds are an excellent place to chill out and take a leisurely photo shoot and has a feeling of restful abandonment.
After an hour or so snapping away, I sat on the river bank with a flask of coffee and a ciggy, enjoying the views and wildlife. Pure bliss!
Here are some pics. There are more in the Gallery (just a few of the two and a half films I took that day! :D )

racal2_11.jpg

racal2_04.jpg

Racal's reception is now an e eption!

racal2_06.jpg

I found the 'c' but not the 'R'.

racal2_07.jpg

racal2_16.jpg

Shot of the inside through the window. The sign used to be on the front of the building.

racal2_10.jpg

racal2_14.jpg

On the way out I noticed bird-feeders in the trees. Neat!

racal2_15.jpg

Cheers
Foxy :)

Hey Foxy,

Great to see some more pictures of this place. Although 1960's buildings aren't usually one of me faves, there's something appealing about Racal.
Hope to see some pics inside if ya get the chance!:)

Lb:cool:

P.s. -i wonder if the owner of that bicycle will ever come back to collect!;)

Lightbuoy;11973; said:
Great to see some more pictures of this place. Although 1960's buildings aren't usually one of me faves, there's something appealing about Racal.
Hope to see some pics inside if ya get the chance!:)

P.s. -i wonder if the owner of that bicycle will ever come back to collect!;)

Hi Lb
Cheers. I know what you mean about the building. From most viewpoints there's a really nice symmetry to the place. I'm working on getting inside. Know a bloke who's one of the keyholders. If I run into him it might be worth spending out on a bribe of a pint or two! :D
The bike's one of those small critters that you see teenagers on these days, but it is a bit rusty so probably been there a while.
Cheers

Great pictures foxy, the more I see of Racal the more fascinated I become. I am looking forward to more!

Ps. if he won’t be bribed with the pint throw in a packet of crisps that’ll seal the deal:D.

Pps. Failing that, throw in lots of pints, “borrow” the keys and bring them back before he wakes up:lol::exclaim:

Hi KA
Yeah, I'm quite besotted with the place, so hope to get inside at some point. It actually now belongs to East Devon Council. I did think of asking to go in but to be quite honest they're a load of wossnames so I don't think that would work. The best bet is the guy I know but I haven't seen him around since.

King Al;12041; said:
Ps. if he won’t be bribed with the pint throw in a packet of crisps that’ll seal the deal:D.

Pps. Failing that, throw in lots of pints, “borrow” the keys and bring them back before he wakes up:lol::exclaim:

:lol:

Cheers

Foxylady;12042; said:
It actually now belongs to East Devon Council. I did think of asking to go in but to be quite honest they're a load of wossnames so I don't think that would work. The best bet is the guy I know but I haven't seen him around since.

Fair enough, that’s the way of the world. All of a sudden that trained chav idea sounds more appealing, although this time I see more of a Dr. Frankenstein:evil: type experiment than strait forward “training”:D

Hi,

I came across this thread after being sent a link by my dad. I used to work here from about 93-97 but left a few years before it closed. I knew that the site was derelict but seeing the pictures of it now makes me feel quite sad!!

I look forward to seeing more pictures which hopefully will trigger more nice memories.

Kieron

I used to work here from about 93-97 but left a few years before it closed. I knew that the site was derelict but seeing the pictures of it now makes me feel quite sad!!

Hi Kieron,
That's amazing! Do you live around this area? I can understand you feeling sad at it's closure and dereliction. The site has a very nice vibe to it and I know other local people who enjoyed working there.
I now know who the keyholder is and have chatted to him about the possibility of getting inside to take some photos, but apparently it's very trashed and dangerous now after they'd had some break-ins. And, tbh, I'm not a fan of trashed places...like yourself, I'd rather see more interesting, happier photos. :)

Ah, I just realised. We used to have a gallery on DP, and most of my pics of Racal were on there. As the gallery's gone now, I'll see if I dig out some of those and post them up again. :)

another good find foxy
id love to see around that place but its a bit far for me!!
i thought it was your bike at first!!

Hi Kieron,
That's amazing! Do you live around this area? I can understand you feeling sad at it's closure and dereliction. The site has a very nice vibe to it and I know other local people who enjoyed working there.
I now know who the keyholder is and have chatted to him about the possibility of getting inside to take some photos, but apparently it's very trashed and dangerous now after they'd had some break-ins. And, tbh, I'm not a fan of trashed places...like yourself, I'd rather see more interesting, happier photos. :)

Hi,

I don't live in the area anymore. I used to live in Seaton when I worked there but moved away when I left which is why I've not seen the place since!!

I'd heard rumours from other people who used to work there that they were going to demolish it and build houses on the site. I guess this hasn't happened yet but is this something you have heard?

Kieron

PS. You correctly guessed that one of your pictures used to be the bike shed where staff would park push bikes and motor bikes. I remember once an employee getting there motorbike stolen from here one evening when they were doing overtime. Thieves drove up in a van, loaded the bike on and drove off without anyone seeing a thing. Knowing how close the bike shed is to the building you can imagine how daring this was!!

I also forgot to ask who you know who used to work there as I may remember the names. My girlfriend used to work there as well so if I don't know them she may.

Kieron

i thought it was your bike at first!!

:lol: I've since found out that it belongs to the keyholder and that he uses it to cycle around the site when he's doing a check. :mrgreen: He also has a dog which we call the asbo alsation. For a very funny conversation about the dog, check out this link and look at posts no's 20 & 21.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=2517

I'd heard rumours from other people who used to work there that they were going to demolish it and build houses on the site. I guess this hasn't happened yet but is this something you have heard?!!

Yes, the whole of that site, the holiday camp (now owned by Tesco) and practically everything on that side of Harbour Road up to the marshes are all designated the regeneration area. Racal will be demolished, one side of the two-part camp site has just been demolished and the new side well be too. Lots of houses and a supermarket. Oh, and a tourist centre...which makes us all wonder why anyone would want to come here, when most of the holiday stuff has gone!
Shame about that guys bike. They must have had it well planned to do that!

I also forgot to ask who you know who used to work there as I may remember the names. My girlfriend used to work there as well so if I don't know them she may.

The only person who I can think of off-hand is Coral. Don't know her surname, but you might have known her, as her name's not very common.

Yes, the whole of that site, the holiday camp (now owned by Tesco) and practically everything on that side of Harbour Road up to the marshes are all designated the regeneration area. Racal will be demolished, one side of the two-part camp site has just been demolished and the new side well be too. Lots of houses and a supermarket. Oh, and a tourist centre...which makes us all wonder why anyone would want to come here, when most of the holiday stuff has gone!

I guess I'd better get down there quick if I want to see the place again!!

Yes I know Coral. Unless anything has changed she lives with Richard Mayo who we both knew well. We have met them a couple of times since we left and keep in touch with the odd e-mail.

Kieron

I guess I'd better get down there quick if I want to see the place again!!

Yes, it's just the same outside as when I took the last lot of photos...just a bit more overgrown. It's not down for demolition yet although it will be at some point.

Yes I know Coral. Unless anything has changed she lives with Richard Mayo who we both knew well.

Yes, I know Richard too. Couldn't remember if he'd worked there as well though. Small world! :mrgreen:

It is a small world:) If you see them tell them I said hello.

Kieron

PS. Hopefully you can get the other pictures you took as I'm definately interested in seeing them. Do you live in Seaton?

It is a small world:) If you see them tell them I said hello. PS. Hopefully you can get the other pictures you took as I'm definately interested in seeing them. Do you live in Seaton?

Will do, yes I'll see what I've got later on and post them up and yes, I do live in Seaton. :mrgreen:

Very interesting find and report,I love old technical sites as you never know what great stuff and paperwork etc is lying around to have a nosey at.

By the way,can you solve a mystery??Who does the bike belong to which is chained to the seat in one of your pictures??

It looks a bit too new to be abandoned.....Security bike patrol?????:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back