Barton Aerodrome

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Croyden predated Barton? as it was the first to introduce Air Traffic Control,but I could be wrong!
anyhow great photos thanks for sharing.
Yes, the original control tower at Croydon was built around 1918 and demolished in 1928 to be replaced with the new control tower (which is still there).

Original wooden control tower
Croydoncontroltoweroriginal.jpg

Replacement Tower 1928
Croydoncontroltower1928replacement.jpg

Again great photos an and thanks for sharing.

Quite happy to bow to those with more knowledge :)

Is the 'new' tower at Croydon still used as the control tower? It's certainly another nice looking building.

Quite happy to bow to those with more knowledge :)

Is the 'new' tower at Croydon still used as the control tower? It's certainly another nice looking building.

The 1928 tower is gorgeous, we couldnt even construct something like that these days it would be cold and functual.

I remember going to Barton a few years ago with a friend who was into planes & was given a flight with an instructor as an Xmas present.

The weather wasn't too good so he only got to do a circuit & some taxi-ing.

Yes, the original control tower at Croydon was built around 1918 and demolished in 1928 to be replaced with the new control tower (which is still there).

Original wooden control tower
Croydoncontroltoweroriginal.jpg

Replacement Tower 1928
Croydoncontroltower1928replacement.jpg

Again great photos an and thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE

I love that tower it ouses history of the bygone age of aviation & grandeur (hope I spelt that right)

Last edited:
I'm struggling to see the relevance of this place to the forum. It is neither derelict, abandoned, or otherwise unseen?

Latest posts

Back