Danbury Park Conference Centre

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philb

Reaction score
Originally built in the 1830s Danbury Place (as it was originally known) and park were sold to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1845 as a home for the Bishop of Rochester and renamed Danbury Palace. It went through several owners before ending up with Anglia Ruskin University. They used it during the 1990s, and closed it in 2005, since which time it's been waiting for a buyer. There have been talks about turning it into a leisure centre, shopping mall, shops or residential use. I don't expect anything to happen soon however, given the financial situation.

The property comprises of the main Grade II listed house, stable block, modern accommodation and recreation block and manager house. In total the existing floor area extends to approximately 4,500 sq m (48,500 sq f). It sits in a total site area of 4.3 hectares (10.62 acres) which comprises tennis courts, formal gardens and landscaping.

OK, that's the boring facts out of the way. The bottom line is that this place is gorgeous. Well, the original architecture is, the stuff that was added later to turn it into a conference centre is dire - really horrible tacky 1960s rubbish. But let's go on a little tour, shall we?

This is the front of the building. As you can see, it's fairly overgrown - everywhere is overgrown here!

confcentre8.jpg

I loved the 'Green Man' gargoyle by the front door, with a real garland of ivy around his head.

confcentre9.jpg

The carparking area is not so good, and hasn't seen much action in a while.

confcentre5.jpg

Signposting is getting hard to see now:

confcentre6.jpg

confcentre3.jpg

However, there's still apparently enough oil for the building - these are a couple of dials right out at the front of the building.

confcentre2.jpg

This is a view off to one side of the main entrance showing the horrible 1960s rubbish

confcentre4.jpg

The old clock above the stable block:

confcentre7.jpg

Another shot of the entrance, angled in from the left:

confcentre1.jpg

And moving around the back we can see how the ivy is taking hold.

confcentre10.jpg

This is the rear of the building from a distance.

confcentre11.jpg

A view of the tennis court, which is also rather neglected, to say the least.

confcentre13.jpg

Looking in through the windows it does look as though time has stopped - this is a conference area break out room, still looking as though it's just waiting for delegates!

dcc4.jpg

Was a lovely looking place and a perfect explore for a sunny saturday afternoon.

Phil.

Amazing site, looks in pretty good condition! I'm surprised that the windows are still intact.

Would be cool to see more interior photos, although from looking at it, it doesn't look as if there would be a way inside.

Great report anyway.

Is That Danbury in Essex ?
If it is, I used to go camping there with the Scouts. There was a walled off area next to some big fishponds, I climbed up to take a look over and it was set up like some kind of disaster scenario - A semi-collapsed building and a crashed aircraft . I guess it was some kind of Firebrigade training centre. Anyone know about this place ?
We are talking about a long long time ago here........ fifties ?

That's the place, yes. I think you're thinking of Danbury Lakes, which is a series of 3 or more lakes, most of which are quite large. There IS a walled off area there, but it's now been roped off as being too dangerous and liable to collapse. I've no idea if the disaster zone is in the same place as the conference centre though.

Phil

Latest posts

Back