Derby City Culvert

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashless

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well after waiting for it to stop raining for a just few days in a row...i'm no longer a stranger to draining....many thanks to JOHNO23 and "the girls!" :)

This culvert system is just over a Km long and takes the stream from the lake at Markeaton Park, under Derby city centre and into the Derwent on the other side.

The entrance....
P1040917.jpg

Looking back towards the light
P1040921.jpg

Though the water wasn't deep it was quite fast flowing
P1040919.jpg

Got to love the several hundred year old brickwork, the shape is a work of art in itself
P1040869.jpg

60's Galvanised sheeting still going strong, shoring up the parts that had collapsed in the past!
P1040872.jpg

P1040874.jpg

Inspection access from street level
P1040886.jpg

Stalactites....
P1040891.jpg

Extra pipes
P1040901.jpg

Fish!
P1040903.jpg

The tunnel gains a dividing wall, the two halves follow the same route and join up again a few hundred meters later
P1040889.jpg

This was interesting, the manhole cover wasn't there. However a pallet had been placed on top so a quick climb up the ladder to see where we were was in order!
P1040898.jpg

Poking my camera out from under the pallet revealed were in the middle of the cleared site of the old bus station that had been demolished!
P1040895.jpg

The light at the end of the tunnel.
P1040915.jpg

Took us about an hour to stroll along under the length of the tunnel, a nice relaxed afternoon!

Thanks guys, also much fun was had shouting NNYYGGHHAAA! through the manhole covers at the good citizens of Derby above us! :p

great stuff! real shame they demolished that bus station, always thought it had a charm about it when i was there. interesting you popped up in there!

Yes it was an interesting and rather wet adventure,still trying to dry out three sets of wellies:):):).This was the third time that I had been in the culvert but still spot new things each time.
For information the route of our sub terranian tour is as follows
Ford Street (400 year old bridge at this point).
Willow Row (Beneath Sports centre)
Bold Lane,
The Strand,
Victoria Street(See wartime fire brigade pumping wells)
Albert Street(Scare pedestrians through manhole outside HSBC)
Tenant Street(Another magnificient 400 year old bridge)
Beneath Council Car Park(Scary Cables)
Under River Gardens and old bus station
Then finally under Cockpit car park and exit on Bass`s Rec.

There is also a large victorian sewer which is largely contained in a newish pipe from the Westfield centre,however according to my maps this is the original sewer from the Morledge Area.There are obviously some waste connections still feeding into it judging by certain articles and gloop soup which is approx 4 inches deep.It does not smell too much and subject to additional safety gear this is a job for another day.

If anyone is up for the culvert please pm myself,Ashless or Fezzyben as return trip planned soon,happy to show you around down there.

Far more interesting than watching the not so mighty Rams!!. Superb brickwork, a real work of art

I can think of much less fun ways to spend an afternoon. Looks like a chilled out stroll of an explore, excellent! Was in Derby working recently, sadly had no time to even consider scoping drains, one to keep in mind for any future work related trips I guess. :) Congrats! DRAINZZZZZZZZ!

JD

It's a nice chilled out culvert, on-site changing facilities are always welcome :)
The side tunnel gets pretty skanky further in as there's lots of stagnant sewage backed up on the other side of the metal pipe. I didn't have a gas detector at the time and I was on my own so I decided to just head back after a short while.

Is it easy to find the entrance then? I spent an hour walking around the lake but couldn't find it, can anyone PM me with instructions please?

Thanks,
James:)

Thanks guys, only been down there once since I got my 400D, my old Panasonic Lumix did me proud on that trip!

That reminds me, don't we need to organise the first Derby boat regatta at some point?

Fear not, the HMS Derwentinator has enough room to house a small housing estate, which I'm utilising for my Barbeque and sound system - the metal and burgers will be on me :lol:

Latest posts

Back