Derby City Culvert

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is or isn't this the one that comes out in the Derwent below some fancy Victorian style balustrades in a certain park (not Markeaton)?

I was looking at the gates there yesterday thinking I could squeeze under them; but would get very wet.

Fantastic report, love adventures like this, it's what exploration is all about. Hat's off!

Is or isn't this the one that comes out in the Derwent below some fancy Victorian style balustrades in a certain park (not Markeaton)?

I was looking at the gates there yesterday thinking I could squeeze under them; but would get very wet.

I think the one you mean comes out in Darley Park and originates from Markeaton Lane and is the stormwater overflow going under Broadway and said Darley Park.There is a thread on here or a similar forum about that part of it.We attempted it and could not continue as it is flooded to a depth of about 1.5 metres at the Darley end and needs a boat/dinghy.

The Culvert featured on this thread which we did does originate from Markeaton Park and runs under the city centre and exits on Bass`s Rec just over from Cockpit car park.It used to exit into the River Gardens prior to the 1970`s when it was diverted.Please PM if you need any detailed info as this is one of my fave projects and studies.:)

Last edited:
I might have an easier solution to accessing Markeaton Interceptor, but I really would benefit from maps and a former council worker whom johno will be aware of. I've plotted the course of another of the culverted brooks in Derby recently too if anyone is interested.

I might have an easier solution to accessing Markeaton Interceptor, but I really would benefit from maps and a former council worker whom johno will be aware of. I've plotted the course of another of the culverted brooks in Derby recently too if anyone is interested.

PM me big boy! :lol:

I think the one you mean comes out in Darley Park and originates from Markeaton Lane and is the stormwater overflow going under Broadway and said Darley Park.

Cheers Johno; I get that one and the one featured in this thread mixed up. I think I missed a chance to join one of your tours for the one in this thread last year. I need to get myself a pair of waders. :)

Cheers Johno; I get that one and the one featured in this thread mixed up. I think I missed a chance to join one of your tours for the one in this thread last year. I need to get myself a pair of waders. :)

You can do Markeaton Brook in wellies most of the time (though last time I got a bit wet, leading to some funny looks from the studenty types around there). Its really interesting from a local history viewpoint, especially with Johno's encyclopaedic level of knowledge for it :)

It might be worth investigating Chaddesden Culvert if you've not done culverts before as its very short and probably the easiest in the local area. I've been a few times practising light painting.

I'm waiting for you to sort out the tour with Derby's Mr Sewers, Thompski!! :p

M :)

I'm waiting for him to respond :( Plus I only live in Derby for 1/4 of the year! I've got a possible one in Ashbourne in the meantime if your interested?

Ashless

We may possibly have a splore at the culvert this weekend.

With all this rain we had this week so far does the water level rise to dangerous levels? Any idea?

KO

Today there's a lot of standing water in the area of these culverts at the moment and the drains are backing up in places (But I'm no draining expert).

With all this rain we had this week so far does the water level rise to dangerous levels? Any idea?

KO

"When it rains, no drains."

One of the most sensible pieces of advice concerning the matter. It really could be very dangerous, not only if it is currently raining, but the water flow could be considerably higher than normal due to recent rain. I once recall visiting a local culvert when I was around ten. It normally had six inches of water, but recent rain had caused it to rise to about four feet. It's a big risk, and not worth taking in my opinion when you can just wait for a dry spell.

With all this rain we had this week so far does the water level rise to dangerous levels? Any idea?KO

The short answer is.....yes it does rise like a good 'un! It's only a matter of keeping an eye on the levels.....if it's too deep or fast then we don't go! :)

Last edited:
Also bear in mind that culverts can take a long time to react to rain depending on the type of catchment. Heavy rain can pass over quickly, but the main surge may take hours to reach the bit of drain you are exploring.

thanks for the advice.

I'd hate get get caught out by a sudden torrent of turds!

I've been reading the sticky at the top by krela. Maybe a culvert isn't for me without an experienced type to act as a guide. I've not really got the required kit to go underground either.

Latest posts

Back