Flourite Mine near Mold - Jan 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibbo

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
A small calcite mine (but with huge chambers) last worked in 1981. Visited with Romanian1.

mold1.jpg

mold2.jpg

mold3.jpg

mold4.jpg

mold5.jpg

mold6.jpg

mold7.jpg

mold8.jpg

mold9.jpg

mold10.jpg

Nice one Gibbo,

How did you come accross that shaft and where is it and who are the 2 dodgy carachters in the photo's LOL they cant have been the since 1980:mrgreen:

I particuarly liked the photo's with the rail lines and the one with the water.

Simon

That stope in picture two is a nice one. Cool shots man, looks like a good mine. How deep is the wter in there?

Its drained out to the river dee by many underground chambers and shaft. The largest and longest being milwr. This started at bagilt 2 mtr above high tide and was driven inland to approx loggerheads a distance of 10 miles. (books are available from here)

Not all of the area has ever been mapped i am informed.

http://sites.google.com/site/flintshireleadmining/history

Chris Ebbs is your man

looks feckin huuge in there!

is that a british coal board coat? lol :mrgreen:

Uh-huh, from staffordshire/derbyshire borders, probably church gresley or swadlincote collieries, i believe due to the length its either an above ground workers or someone who worked right at the face.

That stope in picture two is a nice one. Cool shots man, looks like a good mine. How deep is the wter in there?

Knee deep at the deepest point i would say, waders/drysuits are the order of the day.

Its drained out to the river dee by many underground chambers and shaft. The largest and longest being milwr. This started at bagilt 2 mtr above high tide and was driven inland to approx loggerheads a distance of 10 miles. (books are available from here)

Not all of the area has ever been mapped i am informed.

http://sites.google.com/site/flintshireleadmining/history

Chris Ebbs is your man

Halkyn tunnel also drains it i believe, and there are fairly comprehensive records knocking around but not entirely complete as you say.

Mine.

I got "The Milwr Tunnel", Bagillt to Loggerheads 1897-1987 last month, well worth a read.

Latest posts

Back