Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed it,got any photos.Ive been spotting them for years but never really took any pics until i seen the thread,so went on a memory tour.lol

Came across this one in Holland, was in Amsterdam at the time on my way to Groningen. Dont know what it says in English though.

P1010025.jpg

Exeter at last!!!

I don't know! You wait for one for months, then three come along on top of each other! :mrgreen:

One large ad underneath, blacked out, then another smaller one for a dairy, then that one painted over again when the dairy changed owner. :lol:

exeterghostad01.jpg

for anyone who may live nearby, theres one of the wall outside a club called the watershed in wimbledon. its half obscured by an advertising hoarding. saw it as i went past on the bus yesterday and dont know when ill next if ever go past it again.

Here's a pic for you, from Bergen Op Zoom in Holland. This has got a world war 2 flavour to it.......

boz-txt.jpg

"Wehrmacht
Bezirksverwaltung
Lager ..4"

German army regional office

A good idea for a thread Golds :)

Finally gotten round to add a few.....

Crystal Palace, Sydenham, London -May, 2009
IMG_3107.png

IMG_3108.png

IMG_3109.png

Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex -May, 2009
IMG_2535.png

IMG_2536.png

I really like this post: it's inspired me to document then ones i know about where i live in Plymouth

i got our councils monthly magazine through the post today. usually i dont even bother looking at it but i did and im glad as at the back there was a page to do with ghost ads.

if i scanned the doc you'd never make any of the type out so ill type it here for you, please excuse any spelling mistakes. it gives a website address for a man who loves ghost ads and stuff...

SIGN OF THE TIMES

'its not often you can claim to have spotted a real ghost but if youre looking for the right type theres a chance you could catch them on film!'

ghost hunting for examples of faded wall art, advertisements and street furniture from back in the day is gaining popularity with a number of locals who see the past time as a way of getting to know their ancestors and the wazy they lived.

clive yelf, a long term resident of morden and staff member at merton council, has been out on the hunt for examples of local history in south west london for the last four years.

''its about picking up on all those threads of history that are all around us'' says clive. ''its archeology thats not buried and you get a sense of the environment and the area that youre walking through''.

clives love for ghost-sign spotting started as a boy when he walked past an old sign on his way to school every day in merton. over the years he watched it deteriorate and realised that he was seeing a piece of history disappear before his eyes. now, thanks to modern technology, clive and many other locals have started photographing these living pieces of local history before they disappear. ''theres so much out there'' says clive ''the nameplates of buildings, mosaics in shop fronts, hand painted designs and advertisements surround us every day. every now and then they peep through from behind new exteriors and give you an awareness of your environment and how things change and develop over the years''.

you can discover many of these archeological treasures for yourself by visiting the Faded London website

http://www.faded-london.blogspot.com/

the site hosts photos of the many different ghost-signs spotted in south west london so far. or you can download a map with the exact location of each piece allowing you to go and take a closer look. check the site regularly for updates and also for information on a treasure hunt with a difference taking place in wimbledon this summer.

http://www.faded-london.blogspot.com/ is ace from what ive seen so far.

mainly for godzilla as we seem to follow eachother ;-) the sutton one outside the dolphin, another has appeared, though extremely faint after being painted over/coveredf for years on the other side of that building, the corner of the road tyre building.

Should bring back memories for those of a certain age...from Bedlington, Northumberland

Tuf.jpg

Exmouth, Devon

Walking around Exmouth a couple of days ago I came across no less than five!!! :lol:
There's probably more, but I couldn't wander too far as I'd had a ride over with my mate, with just a certain amount of time whilst she went to an appointment.

exmouthghostads01.jpg

exmouthghostads02.jpg

exmouthghostads03.jpg

And best of all, two from this old bakery. :mrgreen:

exmouthbakery02.jpg

This one was a 'Hygeinic Bakery'! How delightful! :eek::lol:

exmouthbakery03.jpg

Pickering N.Yorks

This one is on side of an old mill opposite my house (no access inside ive tried ha ha)

oldmillpic.jpg

Still has waterwheel etc under it and is a cool looking mill :) cheers simon

old mill pickering

I can see an open window and a drainpipe ;)

Unfortunately approx 20 feet to left of said open window is a massive living room window belonging to the modern house built onto side of the mill in which the owners reside and you have to cross an open lawn in direct view (security light at night too) to attempt it,i approached owners when i first moved in and asked if there was anything interesting left inside - i got a blunt reply of "allsorts mate and no you cant have a nosey" so he must be used to enquiries the miserable sod :(

... they gotta go on holiday sometime..... ;)

I had a similar situation here. I found a mill that's derelict but adjoined to part of the millhouse that's lived in. I did ring the bell to ask permission to take a look but no-one answered, so I just walked around the back and had a mooch. No entry, but got pics of some of the millwheels, stones, winches and the mill race with an old wooden sluice gate. :mrgreen:

old mill pickering

sounds identical foxy apart from this mill house has a victor meldrew clone residing in it ha ha,hopefuly he will go visiting relatives or sumat in near future ... :lol:

Latest posts

Back