Nettleham Hall - July 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priority 7

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
In its heyday

oldnettlehamhall.jpg

oldnettlehamhall001.jpg

Nettleham hall was the home of the Hood Family, a very popular family within the village of Nettleham. The famliy decended from John Hood who was the first of the Hood family to occupy Nettleham Hall. John Hood whom accompanied General Monk from Scotland on his way to restore Charles IIin January 1660. The main entrance is a magnificent set of wrought iron gates, these gates came from the demolished church of St.Peter at Arches Lincoln and were designed by Francis or William Smith circa 1720 with piers and flanking walls being dating from around 1890. The house had an underground system of tunnels to allow servants to move around the house. An old auction catalogue for the sale of the residence describes it as a charming stone built Georgian House with views of Lincoln Catherdral, it was sold with 3 acres of garden and 1,500 acres of shooting lands.
Nettleham hall burnt down around 1937 in mysterious circumstances.

After the fire

oldnettlehamhall003.jpg

oldnettlehamhall002.jpg

Anyway on with the images:

The Main Gates

nh019.jpg

nh018.jpg

nh017.jpg

nh016.jpg

nh015.jpg

nh014.jpg

The Grand Halls Remains

nh026.jpg

nh025.jpg

nh024.jpg

nh023.jpg

nh022.jpg

nh006.jpg

nh013.jpg

nh005.jpg

nh002.jpg

nh003.jpg

And a special MD Happy Birthday pic

nh008.jpg

Visited in the great company of Coverturbex and Lulatahula...

Such a shame to see its current state as even the pics after the fire would suggest it wasn't beyond repair. I would venture that it would have been repaired had war not broken out.

Such a shame to see its current state as even the pics after the fire would suggest it wasn't beyond repair. I would venture that it would have been repaired had war not broken out.

Is anything really beyond repair these days? I've seen some pretty amazing restorations on TV so you never know ;)
It's truly amazing to see these older buildings still standing - even if it is just the main walls. It shows how well built they were back in the day...

They came out better than I expected to be honest and B&W helps too good to catch up again and glad we could help you conquer your nemesis :)

Great reports and pics by you all, loving the close up gate ones and black and white sooooo suits this place

Excellent Stuff! Especially the gate. Although I was waiting for a servants tunnel to appear : (

Nice pics. Somehow it seems peaceful, not scary. Not sure why. Maybe the people who lived there were nice. (lol--I don't know)

Latest posts

Back