Newbie Oxfordshire hi all

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE MOO

Reaction score
Just introducing myself and also any help on where do I find the info for places in my area. Can anyone explain how to go about looking on maps as I do not understand. Am sure I will get the hang of things. Take care all

Just introducing myself and also any help on where do I find the info for places in my area. Can anyone explain how to go about looking on maps as I do not understand. Am sure I will get the hang of things. Take care all
Welcom to the forum. Let's see if I can help you out here to get you started. First of all you will need a map. Go to this website Map images - National Library of Scotland and click on "Side By Side Viewer". This will give you an up-to-date map on the right of your screen and on the left will be an old map. You can choose the type of old map on the left from a drop-down menu. To do your exploring just zoom in with the old map to find what you're looking for and the compare it with the up-to-date Google map on the right. Start your exploring with the railways around Oxfordshire, I know there are a lot of redundant railways around your area.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.0&lat=52.38860&lon=-0.65340&layers=10&b=4
this takes you straight to map overlay page which is really good.
tbh the best way to start is searching forums for areas (try a county or town in search bar & see what comes up).
these is loads of info online for old military airfields for example, locate them on google & try searching the parameters for any dilapidated looking structures etc.
good old google maps is still best, its time consuming but pick a area u want to go & just scour google for anything that looks out of place, then go & check em out.
9/10 will turn out to be used, demolished or nothing at all but the odd one will be a explore.

Welcome, The first think I will say is Look on the OS maps and use Google. Second thing is where in Oxfordshire, north, east, west or south?

Welcom to the forum. Let's see if I can help you out here to get you started. First of all you will need a map. Go to this website Map images - National Library of Scotland and click on "Side By Side Viewer". This will give you an up-to-date map on the right of your screen and on the left will be an old map. You can choose the type of old map on the left from a drop-down menu. To do your exploring just zoom in with the old map to find what you're looking for and the compare it with the up-to-date Google map on the right. Start your exploring with the railways around Oxfordshire, I know there are a lot of redundant railways around your area.
Brilliant thank you

Thank you for your help

Sorry but I'm personally not well up on Oxfordshire exploring. There's bound to be other members in here though that are. Can I suggest you ask for the possibility of accompanying someone if they've got a 'splore planned. That way you meet new peeps and get to know the ins and outs and the "etiquette" as it were. Do make yourself aware of the law though and don't fall foul of the bad habits some so called "explorers" have been known to indulge in!

And if you're ever over my way (Algarve) I'll gladly show you a site or two.

Sorry but I'm personally not well up on Oxfordshire exploring. There's bound to be other members in here though that are. Can I suggest you ask for the possibility of accompanying someone if they've got a 'splore planned. That way you meet new peeps and get to know the ins and outs and the "etiquette" as it were. Do make yourself aware of the law though and don't fall foul of the bad habits some so called "explorers" have been known to indulge in!

And if you're ever over my way (Algarve) I'll gladly show you a site or two.
Hi so far I havnt found anyone in Oxfordshire Wiltshire Berkshire Gloucestershire area as of yet but am sure something will come up algarve sounds good 👍 can’t see me getting there any time soon lol

Hi so far I havnt found anyone in Oxfordshire Wiltshire Berkshire Gloucestershire area as of yet but am sure something will come up algarve sounds good 👍 can’t see me getting there any time soon lol
I am joining groups on media so hope to get more info around here.

Back