Rosary Road Chalk Mine. Norwich Jan 11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Shuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The city of Norwich is underlain at shallow depth by abandoned mineworkings made for the extraction of chalk and flints. Early workings took the form of surface pits and quarries, with later working of underground mines. The latter, often several hundred years old, are liable to collapse, and may reach the ground surface. Most of the mines are now inaccessible, although the recent investigation of two such mines has included the use of direct mining techniques to gain access to the old workings. Stability at Harford mine has been found to be adequate, due to adequate rock cover, moderate age and a rural setting. Collapses at Earlham Road mine have been found to be well developed, due to inadequate rock cover, great age, poor rock quality and disturbance due to the urban location. The principal collapse mechanism is identified as localised void migration, following roof collapse, with a possible secondary contribution from pillar over-stressing. This was an explore in Norwich itself, following a tip off that an old factory had been demolished exposing the entrance to these Chalk mines for a short period of time. I must say I was very nervous about what we might find.
DSCF7227.jpg
DSCF7226.jpg
DSCF7225.jpg
DSCF7224.jpg
DSCF7223.jpg
DSCF7218.jpg
DSCF7217.jpg
DSCF7215.jpg
DSCF7214.jpg
DSCF7208.jpg

Trust you to find a mine in Norfolk! :p

Cracking find, this is what explorings all about! Well done. :mrgreen:

Thanks mate, it was on a bit of a whim to be honest!! I couldn't quite believe our luck!!!:)

Are those bunk beds and a strecher in the last but one pic ? was it used as a shelter during the war?
Fantastic find!

Yes Gingrove, you are right. This was definetly used as a WW2 Air Raid shelter. A Chalk Mine before that though. A lot of the mines under Norwich date back to the 13th and 14th century.

Nice find and bloody hell Shucky I do believe you're branching out. I don't know what you told the others but they look decidedly more anxious about the explore than you do.

Maybe this was as a result of your pre-explore briefing? I've heard you're a man of few words :mrgreen:

Tunneljesus.jpg

Nice find and bloody hell Shucky I do believe you're branching out. I don't know what you told the others but they look decidedly more anxious about the explore than you do.

Maybe this was as a result of your pre-explore briefing? I've heard you're a man of few words :mrgreen:

Tunneljesus.jpg

You're a cheeky bleeder Munchhie!!

Fascinating report Black Shuck, thanks

Collapses at Earlham Road mine have been found to be well developed, due to inadequate rock cover, great age, poor rock quality and disturbance due to the urban location.

For example, this one :)

businahole.jpg

Derek

Looks like a great explore, sounds like you were in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for posting.

keep up at the back! found this years ago when Thompsons was still blocking it from view ;)
I know, that's where I got the inspiration from Speed!! It's bloody brilliant. Mate at the back of the shelter there is a small tunnel that goes down and to the left, is it passable?

Latest posts

Back