stoneywood social club, Aberdeen - April 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alir147

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Right folks. Visited this place with 8333696 (Gorecki) the other day. First impressions are that it is a bit of a dump and really quite small, but after some comedy entrance techniques, a man in a van and a near miss - we were in, and were quite pleasantly surprised.

we're led to believe this was the social club for the nearby paper mill of the same name. Having visited a live paper mill recently and seen the characters that were there, i can imagine this place would have once been the scene of many lively, banter-filled nights.

It obviously wasn't to be though and in 2004, the doors closed for the last time. As i've mentioned, it's quite a tardis.

the place was completely pitch black inside for most of it, so focussing was a hassle. hence i don;t have any photos of the changing rooms, kitchens, sauna, offices or any of the pool table rooms.

initial impressions
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-10.jpg

snooker table - would have loved to have given it a good home
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-1.jpg

one of three lounges
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-2.jpg

the mini theatre
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-9.jpg

seating near the stage
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-8.jpg

Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-3.jpg

Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-4.jpg

photos of former clients
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-5.jpg

the squash courts
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodso-6.jpg

the end of an era
Westhallexteriorsandstoneywoodsocia.jpg

Nice report. If that had been round here and derelict for so long it would have been a burnt out shell by now. I'd love the snooker table too but no where to put it.

was brian potter not in there trying to re-open the phoenix club.typical social club rules though "no standing at the bar" well how you supposed to get a drink then lol

As is so often the case. ;)

Oh, aye. Nearly forgot. Did you see my update? The Cruden Bay school explore is blown out the water. It's been demo'd. Soz mate. :(

aw wow that's quite unexpected. i thought it might have been listed or something. that's a shame! :(

Me too. I went down to see how the dodgy door frame was doing, and found they were putting up bloody houses. :mad:

Shows how out of touch I've been with planning lately. :(

Nice to see you out and about again Ali!:)

Didi you organise this one, or were you purely just offering advice to yourself:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Nice to see you out and about again Ali!:)

Didi you organise this one, or were you purely just offering advice to yourself:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

oh it was left in gorecki's capable hands to organise this one so i wasn't given the chance to show off the best of my non-organisational organising.:lol: my excellent inbuilt sat nav skils also didn't get a chance to fully shine either!

by the way, my "current climate" has just become clear again! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
This was one of the best places i've done in ages!
some of my photos :fall out the windowshirazzzz

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

Nice one, guy and gal :mrgreen:

Good to see you oot'n'aboot again :)

by the way, my "current climate" has just become clear again! :mrgreen:

That's good news mate :thumb:

I'm planning to return to a certain Mill in the Granite City, if you fancy it, due to my knackeredness last time :eek:

Nice one, guy and gal :mrgreen:

Good to see you oot'n'aboot again :)

That's good news mate :thumb:

I'm planning to return to a certain Mill in the Granite City, if you fancy it, due to my knackeredness last time :eek:

i was actually thinking last night i really need to get back in, so definitely up for that! just give me a shout if / when you fancy it. :)

Back