tank in essex

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your lucky and it starts you might need more like 500 Gallons of fuel for one trip round the field.
I know a Ex REME Tankie and he says most common fault is the L60 leyland engine governor packs up and engine revs to destruction.:mrgreen:

Yeah... hearing you there mate..........I guess the 'miles per gallon ratio' would probably be more like a 'gallons per mile' figure ! heheheh!
......hey off topic a bit I know but ..... weren't some of the later Chieftains fitted with a 'multi- fuel' engine of some sorts or am I thinking of another tank ??

Heres an excellent film on the Cheiftan. Its a cold war classic!!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGIx6MCQk48&feature=related[/ame]

Yeah... hearing you there mate..........I guess the 'miles per gallon ratio' would probably be more like a 'gallons per mile' figure ! heheheh!
......hey off topic a bit I know but ..... weren't some of the later Chieftains fitted with a 'multi- fuel' engine of some sorts or am I thinking of another tank ??

Yeah I think they were supposed to work on desiel petrol avgas and I think maybe even JP4? not sure whether you had to ajust anything though, suppose you must have had to.

I don't see a problem with pink, DS. The owner could have just told the jobsworths that he'd merely painted it in its desert colours. :p

Good ploy! I think the problem was that after sitting unnoticed amongst the cabbages and other like vegetation for ages, this rather large, and very noticeable mass of armour plate suddenly appeared!

I love the military vehicles when on show. A find like this would keep me amused for hours. Nice find!:)

This is not the only example of heavy armour that has just been abandoned/left unattended, there is even one on a North London allotment which actually was brought as a child's 'toy'. It became newsworthy last year when the novelty having waned, it was suddenly painted bright pink and suddenly became very visible - to the consternation of Officialdom!

Are you thinking of the one on Mandela Way, Bermondsey (South London)? Or is there one in North London too?

Pip

This one -------->>>

Pic and description taken from www.derelictlondon.com
BERMONDSEY - RUSSIAN T-34 TANK

A man bought this 32 ton Russian T-34 tank for his 7 year old son as a birthday present several years ago (the guy lived on pages walk, which the tank sits at the end of). The council once tried to have it removed frorm the wasteland it sits on, believing it had been dumped, but then found out the son also owned the rights to the land it sits onThe T-34 was widely considered the world’s best tank when introduced by the Soviet Union during the Second World War. Over 80,000 are estimated to have been built.

Local legend says that the tank's gun is pointed towards Southwark Council's planning offices. The tank gets a change of colour every so often - it was even painted pink for a while.

Are you thinking of the one on Mandela Way, Bermondsey (South London)? Or is there one in North London too?Pip

Obviously I have mistaken the location, it must be this one as two pink tanks is pushing things somewhat. I will have to get back to the informant who told me about it. He originally said that it was a 'British' tank situated in North London and it had suddenly become very visible, due to vandals pouring pink paint over it.

Somewhat of a coincidence, but I suppose, if the Bermondsey example was suddenly newsworthy, vandals could have had a go at another one seemingly abandoned also.

BluePeter: what you will need is one gerrycan of Diesel (25lts red), one priming hand, two cans easystart, Two truck batterys and a screwdriver to short the starter. STEP2: Use loosely working tank on horse and shout out of the turret " I WIN /GERR OOOF MY LAND!!!" (not to be used Literaly)

Latest posts

Back