The BEFORE and AFTER Thread

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay folks; I love the idea of this thread so this is my shot at it and no where near as good as the others but here goes. This is the old market square and parish church in my town of Kettering

This was in the 1930’s just before the original buildings where demolished

32001_1459701091325_1197339314_31309946_7063764_n.jpg

And this was taken this morning on the 1st may

IMG_0975.jpg

keep um coming guys :mrgreen:

You've done a pretty good job there. Is the Albion Commercial Hotel still standing or is that a building that looks similar?

Love these Richard, what's the significance of the scales over the door in the first pairing?And further more what in hells name is that poster on the door all about?

The building, now part of the Fife Folk Museum, was a combined tollbooth and dungeon and also where they kept the standard weights- basically the local Trading Standards office. http://www.fifefolkmuseum.org/page11.html There are various posters on the door but I can't imagine what the big one is for. A film maybe? It looks a bit expensive to be advertising a local event. There's a better view here http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/images/l/747780/

The Weigh House is visible in the other two views too. It's the narrow building just before the terrace drops down a level. The museum now extends all the way to the Bishop's Bridge (so called because Archbishop Sharp rode over it shortly before being ambushed and killed by covenanters, who had been waiting for somebody else and regarded the appearance of James Sharp as an unexpected bonus).

kettering

all these pic are brill. alex i just noticed the similarity in the old buildings to the new. do we know what year they were pulled down.
i wish i had more pics of old kettering and burton, i remember the old houses streets shops ect but they are long gone. people didnt take pics then like they do now, but then cameras were not the same either. thanks again.

You've done a pretty good job there. Is the Albion Commercial Hotel still standing or is that a building that looks similar?

Thank you, No the original buildings where demolished in the mid 1930’s and this is a rebuild with a similar design I do like what there trying to do but the old building should have never been brought down in the first place

chesham hotel kettering

this one holds memories for me. i was best friends with sheila far whos family owned it for maney years. i would go there for tea quite often. this was when i was in secondary school around 58 to 63. i still am friends with sheila now.
[History really does repeat itself!

Proof of this can be seen with Kettering Borough Council's 2008 purchase and refurbishment of Chesham House to become a Design and Technology Centre for start up and fledgling Businesses. An almost identical set of events occurred some 32 years ago when Chesham House was last unoccupied but at that time could have been lost forever (See the press article below from the late 1970's).

During the Council's current building works to re-establish Chesham House as a valuable local asset, a chance meeting with the previous owner (who happened to be on a short visit to Kettering from Western Australia!) archives another chapter in the history of one of Ketterings most interesting buildings.

Through the very generous loan of his own photographs, taken from 1976-1979, the original transformation of Chesham House can be followed. On completion at the end of the 1970's the building provided Office accomodation for a range of important organisations and services.

Kettering Borough Council's 2008 refurbishment to provide Office Suites, this time for the Design and Technology sector, proves that History really does repeat itself!

/SIZE]

Press_Release.jpg

File0025-1.jpg

File0036.jpg

File0023.jpg

File0029.jpg

File0014.jpg

File0039.jpg

this last pic shows how life goes around in one big rollacoster, my house now faces what is the chesham house.
i hope you enjoy.

One I missed from Saturday. Same place again I'm afraid, Canmore seems to concentrate a bit heavily on it.

387568.png

DSC_5001 by RichardB5, on Flickr

I'll try and do a different building next time. :mrgreen:

I love this kinda stuff, it drives my missus barmy :mrgreen: , and there's some great stuff on here especially the merged images.
Soooo, I've been inspired and am gonna get off me 'arris and do some of the same in my area. Might have to create a new thread tho 'cos I've just discovered a load of online images of local old railway stuff and I don't wanna flood this thread with railway stuff to be honest.

But, as a taster how's about this (not my images but heyho, the rest will be :) ).

Cairnie Junction, a station on the Elgin - Aberdeen line, sometime in the 1960's (image courtesy of here --> http://www.gnsra.org.uk/gnsra_gallery_stations_187.htm )
raigellachie_sits_on_the_left_at_Cairnie_Jnctn_733.jpg

Same spot (well, the station was up toward the trees) in 2009

The single line runs right up through the middle of the platform of the former station.
An old view in the opposite direction if any one is interested --> http://www.gnsra.org.uk/gnsra_gallery_stations_186.htm In the background you can see the bridge that the modern photo was obviously taken from.

And just 'cos it caused me to chuckle at the sheer coincidence of GE catching it, a GE view: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...=9qbEhaF2YRB9oUIQZdAjGg&cbp=12,320.24,,0,4.38

Last edited:
Might have to create a new thread tho 'cos I've just discovered a load of online images of local old railway stuff and I don't wanna flood this thread with railway stuff to be honest.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I've flooded the thread with one building. :lol:

the peacock kettering

this was knocked down in the 60's and replaced with the one you see now the only bit that remains is the celler and the old stables (which is now the kitchin)

catskidsandurbexes303.jpg

myfamilypics2401.jpg

thank you for looking

kettering

this is oposite the peacock befor they took down the beautifull buildings to be replaced by moddern cr*p and the most rediculas clock ever oh and market stalls on some days.

catskidsandurbexes146.jpg

catskidsandurbexes147-Copy-Copy.jpg

i love this thread

I didn't actually mean this to be a then/now picture but it matches up better than all the ones I've spent hours on.

DSC_5835 by RichardB5, on Flickr

wc2330.png

As ever with my ones there isn't actually a great deal of difference.

I have tried fruitlessly to find an old photo of this building, the showroom of Messenger and Co Ltd,
the Midland Horticultural Works, Cumberland Road, Loughborough, illustrated on the back of their 1920's catalogue.
4068361343_baac3270c2.jpg

and a couple of years ago:
4108045979_0d7336cee4.jpg

If you look carefully at the brickwork in the right hand pillar about 4 foot off the ground, you can see the carved initials WCB. Those are the initials of Walter Chapman Burder who owned and ran Messenger and Co Ltd. On the pillar the other side is EJGB. I assumed these would be the initials of his brother who was an architect and involved in the business, but I did some research and found out these are actually the initials of his wife.

4108810572_c0ef1a7aae_m.jpg
4108045029_b9382d2ff6_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back