WWII Air Raid Shelter, Luton April 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LutEx

Reaction score
After a bit of a recce, a DIY (and I do have to say, very well made!) rope ladder, and a couple of weeks of waiting, we finally got down there. It started with me calling cookiebizkit up at 10pm:

"Fancy doing the shelter now?"
"Nah, can't tonight, but how about in the morning?"
"It'd have to be early 'cause of the light...how about 4am??"
"Yeah ok, see you then."

Due to the location of access, a nighttime explore would be needed. The plan was to put my tent up over the access, open up, drop the ladder in and go down.

At 4am, I picked up cookiebizkit and we headed to the location. We put down the bags and set about pitching the tent. Then we ran into a problem: I'd lost the pegs!! We decided that the tent should be ok, as there was no wind, so after pulling the access, we dropped and secured the ladder.

Cookiebizkit: "I'll make sure the rope holds."
Lutex: "Oh, so that means I'm first in then?!"
Cookiebizkit: "Um, yeah, that's another way of putting it!" :mrgreen:

So down I went into the unknown darkness, hoping the ladder wasn't going to drop, and I wasn't going to be attacked by swarms of rats!

Luckily, neither happened, and after setting my feet down onto solid ground, I looked around. There were two tunnels running at right angles to each other.

Lutex: "Cookiebizkit, chuck me the bags and get down, we've scored here!"

After CB and the bags were down, we decided to start the explore. We left the bags by the entrance and walked a short way down one tunnel, only to find it linked up with the other one and continued onto more tunnels, with yet more splitting off. After walking a short way, we decided that it would be a good idea to return, pick up the bags and set up the cameras.

pict2661gx5.jpg

Our rope ladder, hanging down from the entrance.

pict2662fo1.jpg

Into the unknown tunnel system.

pict2664zh9.jpg

pict2666ew6.jpg

One of the two bricked up former entrances to the shelter

pict2668cs3.jpg

We assume, remnants of the toilet facilities. There were several of these dotted around the shelter.

pict2669ji2.jpg

The tunnels seemed to just go on and on, although they formed a grid pattern, each joining onto eachother.

pict2677tu6.jpg

CB setting up.

pict2682qh7.jpg

pict2685nv1.jpg

Possibly one of the last visitors? We couldn't find any more recent grafitti in the complex.

pict2678kj9.jpg

Some helpful previous visitor had drawn arrows leading to the exit, allowing us to find our way back out with ease. Although its set out in a grid, it can get quite disorientating down there.

pict2683dr6.jpg

After about 45 minutes in the system, we decided it would probably be best to leave, so we returned to the exit. Cookiebizkit was taking his last few shots, when I walked up to the ladder and looked up.

Lutex: "S**T, Cookiebizkit, we've got a problem..."
Cookiebizkit: "Whats up?!"
Lutex: "There's something missing...I see sky..."

And with that, I practically ran up the ropeladder. I stuck my head out and looked around. The tent was on its side about 20metres away from where it was when we left it! I clambered out the hole, much to the surprise of a dog walker, who I gather from his worried look, doesn't usually see people with headtorchs and high vis vests on quickly clambering out of holes in the ground at 6am!! :lol:

I ran over, grabbed the tent, dragged it back over the hole, went back inside and looked down to see Cookiebizkit looking up at me with a worried expression on his face. "Time to go I think, chuck me up the stuff!"

We quickly dragged out the bags and cameras, CB climbed out, and we packed up the equipment before closing the pit. All while trying to hold the tent down, as the wind had picked up quite a bit! We then packed up the tent and left, in an excellent mood as we knew we'd finally done it!

Re: WWII Air Raid Shelter, Luton April 2008 - REPORT

Excellent pics, and a good report. The air raid shelters look great, and still in a very good condition. Just how big were they, with you saying they're built in a grid formation? Would have loved to see the shocked look on the dog walkers face as you came back out, and grabbed the tent lol.

Cheers guys, looks like a great explore.

:) Sal

I loved the way that was written..."theres something missing...I see sky"
Nice one!

Sounds like you had quite a fun adventure:)Well done for getting up at stupid o clock and having a go,:lol:
good write up and pics by the way.

That ladder is impressive!!! Must have took a while.
Cool explore! Wouldn't fancy being stuck down there without a ladder that's for sure!

This looks like the shelters i first started a thread on 28 days later..i was down these 25 years ago..twice and chalked my name and arrows around..nice to know someone has done it at last with pictures..
im just surprised that other pictures are about that dont need showing..i think there is another elsewhere in luton..possibly two and i know of another nice smaller one out of town a bit..

This looks like the shelters i first started a thread on 28 days later..i was down these 25 years ago..twice and chalked my name and arrows around..nice to know someone has done it at last with pictures..
im just surprised that other pictures are about that dont need showing..i think there is another elsewhere in luton..possibly two and i know of another nice smaller one out of town a bit..

been in one in the farlyhill/parktown area, is this the one you have explored??? We found old food cans and tin toys down there,was a few years ago now though......

any info on entrance locations much appreciated by pm.................

edit** not sure if u can pm on here as i am a newbee, so my e-mail/msn is [email protected].

Any info on entrance locations much appreciated....cheers

Last edited:
Crackin' work Lutex & CB :)

Using a innocently placed tent as cover for your access point is pure genius!!! :lol:

Enjoyed this report a lot -ta for sharing!

Lb:jimlad:

great report well done :)
like everyone else says great idea with the tent

been in one in the farlyhill/parktown area, is this the one you have explored??? We found old food cans and tin toys down there,was a few years ago now though......

any info on entrance locations much appreciated by pm.................

edit** not sure if u can pm on here as i am a newbee, so my e-mail/msn is [email protected].

Any info on entrance locations much appreciated....cheers

this one aint the one your on about..i dont know about them ones?..this ones the other side of town..
will pm ya and meet up if ya want..i cant go down the shelters anymore as ive ate all the pies and wouldnt fit through the manhole..

the farley one..are you on about tunnels/shelter..or pill box?

this one aint the one your on about..i dont know about them ones?..this ones the other side of town..
will pm ya and meet up if ya want..i cant go down the shelters anymore as ive ate all the pies and wouldnt fit through the manhole..

the farley one..are you on about tunnels/shelter..or pill box?

the farley ones are tunnels/shelters.......they seemed to go on forever.Didn't venture too far in though as i only had a little torch that wouldn't light up the inside of a paper bag!!!!

Yeah message me, it'd be good to find other locations around this area. my e-mail addy is above if you can't pm on here.
Cheers, Dave.

sure there was other parts to this thread ..does anyone know if moderators have removed anything??
been off line for a while.

Great! Exploring at 4am sounds wonderful! The rope ladder is nice, I could use one of those myself.

Yeah, i'm sure some stuff is missing off this thread, the discussion about the old entrance that was blocked up outside the foresters arms pub........but why would that have been removed??

Nothing has been removed from this thread, that was a seperate thread you're thinking of.

Back