Severalls Hospital -LATEST NEWS

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another visit is on the cards for soon... so anyone that wants to come let me know.. gonna be a nice chilled explore with cake :p

Alpha Building

Alpha Building, Severalls Hospital

Fencing has recently been put-up around Alpha Building. At last, it's good to see fencing being put-up BEFORE it gets burned to the ground!......unlike Ivy Villa :mad:

Ivy Villa -September, 2008.....
DSCN5167.png

DSCN5158.png

Lb:jimlad:

On a very recent visit to Severals someone has been round marking up items for salvage,Mostly windows and doors,with black spray paint,maybe this is demolition company??

Could well be or it could be a more sinister reason like pikeys, but hopefully its items marked for salvage to prevent more damage being caused.

It is most noticable in the elegant building near the boiler house(the one with stage) with little messages like "1 x Round Window" and " 2 x Sash Windwe" in black pen.If you look carefully its all over the hospital, but very random.

It is most noticable in the elegant building near the boiler house(the one with
stage) with little messages like "1 x Round Window" and " 2 x Sash Windwe" in black pen.If you look carefully its all over the hospital, but very random.

Thats the chapel, and i hope this is some sort of reclaim operation to save stuff, saves it being trashed futher.
Although i spose id better get my next explore in before its too late.

Thats the chapel, and i hope this is some sort of reclaim operation to save stuff, saves it being trashed futher.
Although i spose id better get my next explore in before its too late.

I think that Shads might be referring to Larch Villa / House (the one with the columns), but agree -hopefully as much of the Hospital can be kept. Although now that the sale is off, I fear that Sevs is only going to get worse :(

Lb:jimlad:

It is most noticable in the elegant building near the boiler house(the one with stage) with little messages like "1 x Round Window" and " 2 x Sash Windwe" in black pen.If you look carefully its all over the hospital, but very random.

Thanks, I'll have to have a look next time I "happen to be passing" ;)

Am i right in thinking that all the boilers have been removed from the boiler house? ive seen pictures of them in posts from years ago but i didnt see them when i was there??? :S I remember the guard mentioning something about pikeys and boilers but they cant of stolen all of them. Or was i just looking in the wrong place.

Am i right in thinking that all the boilers have been removed from the boiler house? ive seen pictures of them in posts from years ago but i didnt see them when i was there??? :S I remember the guard mentioning something about pikeys and boilers but they cant of stolen all of them. Or was i just looking in the wrong place.

They had been cut up and taken away by the last time I visited, as had the calorifiers.

Pete

They had been cut up and taken away by the last time I visited, as had the calorifiers.

Pete

Ahhh thanks for the clarification :) The diesel storage tanks are still there though, next to the main boiler room. Calorifiers? What were they for, i assume they were for the hot water supply? What did they look like?

Ahhh thanks for the clarification :) The diesel storage tanks are still there though, next to the main boiler room. Calorifiers? What were they for, i assume they were for the hot water supply? What did they look like?

I believe that Calorifiers were used to prevent the build-up of Bacteria in the Water System.

I think that the Calorifiers were in here (or were they on the building next to the Central BoilerHouse? -the one where you accessed it via a ladder?).............

Boilers before removal..........
Central_Boiler_House_-the_massive_b.png

Central_Boiler_House_-boiler_no.png

Central_Boiler_House_-gangway_looki.png

Last edited:
Why were they removed? Seems a bit random to just remove those things a while after it had closed, why didnt they sort the flooding problem out in the tower at the same time. :mad:

I believe that Calorifiers were used to prevent the build-up of Bacteria in the Water System.

I think that the Calorifiers were in here (or were they on the building next to the Central BoilerHouse? -the one where you accessed it via a ladder?).............

Calorifiers were in here?........
DSCN6238.png

The calorifiers were in that room indeed, but as urbtography mentioned, their purpose was to heat water for the hospital's hot water supply.

Why were they removed? Seems a bit random to just remove those things a while after it had closed, why didnt they sort the flooding problem out in the tower at the same time. :mad:

I believe their removal has more to do with the rise in the value of scrap metal than anything to do with the site itself. The flooding in the tower is unlikely to ever be rectified until redevelopment as at present there is no financial incentive to do so. I'd imagine if and when the tower is put to a new use, the surrounding buildings will be levelled anyway and they will look at modifications/alleviation then.

Pete

Last edited:
I was thinking to myself surely there would be a drain somewhere in either the adjacent boiler house or the bottom of the tower, they dug them into the ground below ground level so surely theyd of planned for water ingress or water sitting in there, could it just be a simple blocked drain somewhere?

I was thinking to myself surely there would be a drain somewhere in either the adjacent boiler house or the bottom of the tower, they dug them into the ground below ground level so surely theyd of planned for water ingress or water sitting in there, could it just be a simple blocked drain somewhere?

Gotta remember, they will have planned for water ingress back in 1913, 100 years on the system will be defunct lol. And if they did have a pump running to keep water out, it won't running now.

It is skany water down there...

Grrrr silly people, anyone planning on building a tower take note, always include drains at the bottom of it :p

Back