Severalls Hospital -LATEST NEWS

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm a fence has been erected around around alpha building and its windows have been boarded, as have gamma's windows. Ivy villa has been totally gutted by fire,its destroyed the upper floor balcony causing it to fall inwards, but it doesnt stop there oh no, its been a multiple seat fire so each wing is also destroyed :mad:.
Orchard villa is starting to show signs of attempted arson
Firs villa which is just near the chapel is still boarded up securely, although round the back is a very nice patio/covered area which is virtually intact :D. The chapel is still secure as well. All tunnel entrances outside the fence have been capped with concrete.

As a side note:
The water level in the tower has fallen. We also met some other ubrexers outside the fence who said they had a map of the tunnel system :O They didnt say where they obtained such a map though, anyone have any ideas?

Nahhhh i wouldnt say that, the fence is being maintained very well, theres minimal damage being done inbetween my visits, i think the chavs are being kept out :D

EDIT: More importantly, Orchard cottage has been demolished and not recently either looks like its been flat for a long time, must of been torched or something :(

Last edited:
I can confirm a fence has been erected around around alpha building and its windows have been boarded, as have gamma's windows. Ivy villa has been totally gutted by fire,its destroyed the upper floor balcony causing it to fall inwards, but it doesnt stop there oh no, its been a multiple seat fire so each wing is also destroyed :mad:.
Firs villa which is just near the chapel is still boarded up securely, although round the back is a very nice patio/covered area which is virtually intact :D. The chapel is still secure as well. All tunnel entrances outside the fence have been capped with concrete.

As a side note:
The water level in the tower has fallen. We also met some other ubrexers outside the fence who said they had a map of the tunnel system :O They didnt say where they obtained such a map though, anyone have any ideas?

Was that you we bumped into? Did you find a way in? (seconds thoughts, PM me the answer to that question!)

I was thinking to myself surely there would be a drain somewhere in either the adjacent boiler house or the bottom of the tower, they dug them into the ground below ground level so surely theyd of planned for water ingress or water sitting in there, could it just be a simple blocked drain somewhere?

When i worked for the NHS as a Maintenance Operative all the "Below Ground Plant Rooms"(yes thats wat they called them)had a 1 meter deep pit in the corner of the room, fitted in this was a pump controlled by a float switch, as the pit slowly filled with water from leaks etc, it would cause the float switch to turn the pump on and drain the pit,pumping water to a drain somewhere.I guess this room would have had a similar set up.No power to the pump and the room floods.

Chavs have found their way into the admin building, not long until it gets burnt now :(

EDIT: on a happier note, theres a cat that appears to know its way into the water tower lol me n kichi saw it run down the stairs and along some pipes and then dissapear into the service tunnels.

Last edited:
A group of us went to severalls a couple of weeks ago, spent a couple of hours at dawn walking round the outside.

Got some nice shoots in the near destroyed Ivy Villa and after exploring Orchard, we we're ready to give up and move onto our next location but we bumped into 2 fellow explores on route back to the car who encouraged us to persevere.

And i'm grateful we did! once inside we spent 4hours there, great explore although i surprised by how empty it was.

The flooding at the bottom of the water tower is still their and looks pretty skank! although i am assuming it has dropped from what it was, and we managed to climb it it was my first water tower :lol: which made me very happy!

Pictures to follow soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a side note:

Thanks for the up-date Urbs :)

They've now erected a fence around Orchard & Ivy Villa -a bit late in me opinion though!!! :(

IMG_1546.png

IMG_1561.png

IMG_1574.png

Lb :jimlad:

First signs of re-development?

Whilst having fun out in the snow, this sign took me completely by suprise, just west of Myland Court.....

:wideeyed:

IMG_1805.png

IMG_1808.png

Not sure if this means that part or the whole site's been bought now?

The fact that a fence has been put up OUTSIDE of the main fence would suggest that building work or site demo' might be commencing sometime soon, at least within this newly fenced-off area aound Orchard / Ivy Villas?

Any further info would be greatly appreciated :)

Lb :jimlad:

Oh dear, i hope demo doesnt start soon :(. As for that fence around Ivy and Orchard people are already cutting huge holes in it, which is quite funny lol.

MARCH, 2009 New A12 junction could free-up Severalls Hospital site for re-development

MARCH, 2009 New A12 junction could free-up Severalls Hospital site for re-development

It would seem that the wheels may finally begin to creak into motion again.....

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/4241843.Government_confirms___11_2million_for_new_A12_junction/

http://www.cu-fc.com/page/News/0,,10424~1605116,00.html

http://www.colchester2020.com/content_3.asp?level2ID=14&level3ID=101

In a more buoyant economy, this could mean the imminent start on site, but as things stand, could be a while.....

Tried my first urbex there the other day but was unsuccessfull at entry.
Still nothing obvious going on tho. I did see all the Site work signs tho which is worrying. But like you say with the state of the economy I cant see it happening anytime soon.

Will be trying again in the future. ROC Woodham Ferrers first as its on my doorstep!.

Sl1pp.

Spent about 6 hours there yesterday took awhile getting in but we got there in the end ( entry not ideal for big people lol ) Loads to see we didnt even get to see it all. Water tower was open was a lovely day. Found the Mortuary aswell which was happy about. Quiet afew fire damaged buildings some really usafe. Admin is a squeeze to get in but dont bother its fire damaged also. Didnt see any building or demo equipment in there which was reasuring.

Matt

More damage to the Administration Building -May, 2009

Did a very recent walk outside of the perimeter fence. It's with sadness that I have to report this latest act of mindless vandalism :(
The gutter around the cupola ontop of Admin - looking up from the ground, this had now been ripped off the roof, and judging by the missing roof tiles by the roof valleys, more lead has been removed :mad:

No doubt it is an almost impossible task to protect all the buildings from such thefts / damage, but surely as the only Listed building, the current Owners could be doing more to protect Admin :confused:

Will pop-up some photos later.

Last edited:
Here's the photos of the latest damage to Admin :(

22052009708.png

22052009710.png

Note also the ornate copper ventilation grille has gone just below the Cupola!!! (this was thieved last year)

Also, saw another Site sign board, this one next to Alpha Building

22052009697.png

Still no obvious sign of re-development or site set-up though :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics lightbouy, bloody thieving members of the traveling community, i think some of them may of made home close to severalls, this could explain the recent damage.

Severalls Hospital -Latest News -UPDATE

Whilst perusing on Colchester Borough Council's Website, I noticed that they've updated their Regeneration Page for North Colchester, including the proposed route for the new link road from the A12. Pleased to say that it does not go through the Main Buildings, however, this doesn't necessarily mean that the former Hospital buildings are safe from demo'. Fernholme Villa looks to be in the path of the proposed road however :(

Here's the linkies.....

http://www.colchester.gov.uk/Info_page_two_pic_2_det.asp?art_id=8275&sec_id=2114

http://www.colchester.gov.uk/Info_page_two_pic_2_det.asp?art_id=8103&sec_id=2080

Here's a link to the older update specifically for Severalls Hospital.....

http://www.colchester.gov.uk/Info_page_two_pic_2_det.asp?art_id=8269&sec_id=2109

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back