Riding School Worplesdon April 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard a lot of mentions of Pyestock.. I'm trying to think where it is cos I've probably been past it at some point haha.. will do a bit more research on it and get my arse in gear :)
I'm really disapointed about St Peter's Convent :( :(

some pictures of the building itself would help
im not knocking you its interesting to see little details but its also
nice to see the buildings:)
dont let it put you off
just get out and enjoy it:)

Beccy,

The photographs should 'tell the story' that is outlined in the report/post title, obviously any unusual or quirky finds should also be included. All photographs for inclusion in reports/postings must be in focus and be reasonably exposed - I hesitate to use the phrase 'correctly exposed' because a slightly underexposed interior shot is better than no picture at all. If you are taking 'technical' photographs for illustrative purposes, you can forget about rules of composition meant for landscape or portraiture. If you want to produce 'arty' photographs for your reports all well and good, otherwise just make sure your photographs fully explain to the reader, the scene you are viewing.

If I can use your present report to illustrate the above. You state that it is a 'riding school'; however, whilst your photographs indicate a connection with horses - stable use and grooming kit - there are no photographs of the usual riding school fitments such as exercise ring or jump poles etc. You should have explained the 'school' connection if the evidence was no longer there to photograph. The wasp/hornet nest is a nice addition, but the 'tiny window' photograph is pointless. Due to incorrect exposure the photograph does not show any reference points on the wall, that allows the viewer to assess the window size. I know you have stated it is a tiny window, but a really informative photograph should not need a descriptive title. You would have obtained a better exposure if you have taken a spot reading off the interior wall and one off the back lit window pane, an exposure based on the average of these two readings would have revealed more detail of the interior wall. This would have then given the view the necessary references to actually size the window.

By the way, the plastic dog beds are being used as feeders - they will contain either oats or milled horse feed.

Dirus - that was really helpful thank you :) and I will bare all that in mind definately!!

The only reason I called it a riding school was cos it was painted on the side .. I'm not 100% if it actually was tbh.

But yeah thank you for all the information :)

(And thanks for clearing the dog bed thing up)

Dirus - that was really helpful thank you :) and I will bare all that in mind definately!!
)

I stand corrected about your title - an exterior shot that included the painted sign would have been great. Glad you found my comments helpful, just passing on a bit of experience gained over the years. Just remember the photograph has to fully explain the subject/scene to the viewer. Do this and you will have no trouble having your photographs accepted. I have taken many thousands of photographs for forensic and accident/incident reports over the last forty odd years, all based on this one principle. I learnt this from an old forensic photographer, who took all his images on glass plates using a whole plate bellows camera.

Last edited:
Back