The Diary Keepers Cottage...2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyou all for your lovely comments..i assure you that this place will never become a tourist attraction witin any communities..:) all who ask will get the same answer..its not a case of being selfish and not sharing ..but im sure youl understand what implications a place like this could have if the location were named..ive seen it happen soooo many times...so i am glad you have all enjoyed her through our photos as much as we did..

I'm a history professor who has also docented at a museum & served on a board that preserves a historic church. In all sincerity, I recommend that this cottage & its contents be reported as soon as possible to institutions who have the capacity to look after it. The National Trust and the Victoria & Albert Museum spring to mind. The contents are a perfect time capsule, rather like the Sir John Soane Museum, but the addition of the vast amount of preserved personal papers, diaries, and photos make it far more. This could well be a new national treasure. A portrait of its time. It must be saved, intact, if it is to stay meaningful, and I'd say it has the potential to become a major cultural attraction.

i completly understand where you are coming from and ive seen many places that hold treasures like this...but at the end of the day we have to remember that they are owned by somebody and they are 9 times out of 10 in my experience totally aware of the contents..but for personal reasons prefer to keep it as it is...a difficult one to get your head round i know...but just the way it is im afraid :) thankyou for your lovely comments.

A magnificent find, beautifully documented, and full of what this site is about, atmosphere. How can one look at those old photographs without wondering how those people fared in life? That leads us to the furniture - whose chair? What happened to them? The old puschair parked upstairs one day never to be touched again - why? Did its little occupant die? Or merely outgrow it?

Fabulous - thank you so much.

Many thanks for all the lovely comments you lot!
Right, best get out there and find another one... :)

Omg Fantastic find, but would it be a good idea to get some of this stuff to the museum or national archives like someone on here mentioned. Too many treasures here to just leave behind, as it could be only a matter of time before some scumbag either finds and steals or sets the place on fire...Those diaries are fantastic, even the trunks they are stored in are a treasure in themselves :eek

Thanks for a fantastic share

I know of a similar place to this (not as old or as preserved) the lady had died and all the stuff was in there for years untill some kids burnt the place down...hope this never happens here

Latest posts

Back