WW2 Pillboxes UK

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pillboxes. Outer London Defence Ring. 04/2008.

Hi all,
Here are some pillboxes around the Cuffley/Cheshunt area which formed part of the outer London defence ring.

Cuffley camp, type T24, all bricked up.
cuffleycamppillbox2.jpg

Cuffley, type T24, entrance blocked with rubbish.
cheshuntpillbox.jpg

Looking in.
insidecheshuntpillbox.jpg

Looking in again.
lookingincheshuntpillbox.jpg

Cuffley, type T22, this pillbox was modified to fit on the side of a bank and apparently painted to look like a house for camouflage.
housepillbox1.jpg

Front of "house" pillbox, nice graffiti!
housepillbox2.jpg

Side view.
housepillbox4.jpg

Inside pillbox but i had to reach high.
insidehousepillbox.jpg

Side view, reaching up high again.
housepillbox5.jpg

I could'nt get into the field to look at the entrance. :mrgreen:

OMG I didnt want to find this, there are loads here on the Island.
I did think about photographing them all, but I wasnt that interested in them, till I realised how many there actually is over here :eek:

Ill post some if I take some from now on, promise :p

Really like those Sneaker and especially love the way the T22 is snugly fitted into the hedge. A lot my way are badly overgrown but that one looks a bit more cared for.

I did think about photographing them all, but I wasnt that interested in them, till I realised how many there actually is over here :eek:

A warning should come with pillboxes: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! :lol: I never thought I was much interested in the military until pillboxes piqued my interest but I'm a huge fan of anything WW2 now! :mrgreen:

Really like those Sneaker and especially love the way the T22 is snugly fitted into the hedge. A lot my way are badly overgrown but that one looks a bit more cared for.

A warning should come with pillboxes: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! :lol: I never thought I was much interested in the military until pillboxes piqued my interest but I'm a huge fan of anything WW2 now! :mrgreen:

Me too. :mrgreen:

like to add these pics of a well preserved Ruck type 'box at Sandiacre, Notts, just a couple of miles from me.........
DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

good to see one in such good condition, as all the others i've seen at coastal sites are falling apart, fell apart, nearer the sea than they once were, or hardly recognisable!
never knew this one was so near to where i live until a few weeks ago!:)

good to see one in such good condition, as all the others i've seen at coastal sites are falling apart, fell apart, nearer the sea than they once were, or hardly recognisable!
never knew this one was so near to where i live until a few weeks ago!:)

You found it, that's cool. Might just mosey on down and have a look:mrgreen:

let me know if you're over this way sometime, and i'll show you where it is, some good ones at tollerton airfield i went to see recently too.

There's one at Seaton Sluice above the harbour, almost completely buried in sand-dune. One at Druridge bay is halfway down the front of the dune (sliding down it as the dune errodes).

How about the most remote? I found two whilst hiking in the Northumberland moors, miles from the nearest village, no road to them, on a totally desolate hilltop. Just stumbled across them and used them as a shelter whilst it snowed! Couldn't believe my luck. I'll dig the pictures out later and put them up.

There's one at Seaton Sluice above the harbour, almost completely buried in sand-dune. One at Druridge bay is halfway down the front of the dune (sliding down it as the dune errodes).

The coolest one at drurudge bay is diguised as a cottage. But its tiny, it looks plain daft. I guess from the air it would be convincing though. Wile-E have you seen that one?

The coolest one at drurudge bay is diguised as a cottage. But its tiny, it looks plain daft. I guess from the air it would be convincing though. Wile-E have you seen that one?

That's not the one opposite the farm on the road between Cresswell and Druridge (crest of the only hill there) is it? Looks like a tiny thing a hill farmer would use in the borders to shelter in?

That's not the one opposite the farm on the road between Cresswell and Druridge (crest of the only hill there) is it? Looks like a tiny thing a hill farmer would use in the borders to shelter in?

Thats the one. Get a closer look, its a pill box!

heres one at Tollerton airfield, notts, there are a few of these big shellproof elongated octagon types there, with the hanger for a turnbull mount in all the embrasures, a good few that i have os map refs for but couldn't find! maybe next visit:)

DSCN0783.jpg

there a fw3 type 22 in amazing condition opposite the 7 wells pub in etwall/burnaston

Kaputnik wrote.

pillbox spotting near a pub? Ideal!

Hehe. I can do better than that. I know a boozer down in Somerset with a pillbox in the beer garden.

B :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back