WW2 Pillboxes UK

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightbuoy;12460; said:
I'm guessing again here, but would the cables be to hold the blocks together, or perhaps are anchored individually, to prevent a tank from moving just one of the blocks?

Right m'dear, I've just spent some time on Google to check this out (what else is a girl to do on a friday night? :D )
And...some stuff...

"Cable of the railway barrier, set in it's concrete anchorage blocks, still guards the main line into Parkeston Quay."
From www.unlockingessexec.gov.uk
"Line of anti-tank blocks to hold a length of rail"
From www.nbcd.org.uk
"often holes at the top for the insertion of iron stakes which would have been lined with barbed wire in the hope that this would get tangled up in the tracks of any light tank trying to mount them"
From www.worcestershire.gov.uk

There's more, but I'm guessing that, as in the case of pillboxes, there would be variations according to the area and the interpreter of the original plans.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Foxy :)

There are two pillboxes on the north wall on grimsby docks and near to one of them there is a stone stairs and ramp dont know what that is.

Box one front.
34131007ew1.jpg

box one right side.
98878891pz3.jpg

box two front.
17073035ue1.jpg

box two left side.
79585011bw5.jpg

and the stairs/launch ramp. (old lifeboat perhaps)
32390686hk2.jpg

Access to both is easy as you just walk up the beach but you cant get inside any of them as they have been filled with concrete.:mad:

Cheers Magoo those are pretty cool, I’ve seen that layout with the launch ramp and costal pillboxes before some where, I may have some pictures of a similar installation, I’ll try and dig them out:)

Hey Magoo thanks for posting pics and info, that pillbox looks to me as though it's a beach defence type pillbox, it would have been used by roughly four blokes with small arms (rifles and light machine guns).

Bigger version of pretty much the same thing. Coastal Defence Pillbox, Blue Anchor, Somerset (pic by Krela).

DSC_4267.JPG

b

Beach Defences.

Photograph of Brighton beach in 1940, lots of barbed wire and concrete anti tank cubes (and possibly a minefield?).

Sea_Defences,_c._1940s.jpg

Above pic taken from.
http://www.20thcenturysparks.org.uk/page_id__39.aspx

Scaffolding used to block landing craft and armoured vehicles.

db_Lunan_bay_beach_scaffolding_exposed_by_2002_to_2003_storms1.jpg

Lunan bay, Angus.

Beach scaffolding placed on a beach and in the surf so as to prevent hostile forces from landing by boat or vehicle.

This type of defence is very rarely found as most was removed for scrap metal at the end of the war. This example was exposed by 2002 to 2003 storms. (Photo Anne Burgess)

Above pic and info from.
http://www.pillboxesuk.co.uk/

1940's defences Felixstowe beach.

1940s.jpg

b

Really good to see some photos of the beach defences as they were at the time. Especially like the last two pics from my neck of the woods (or the coast!). :D
Thanks for that, Mr B

Great pictures Magoo! :)

The sea views must be lovely from there ;)

Thanks also to Bishop for the excellent as ever historical input -find this useful in seeing such places in their original context. Well done chaps!

Lb:cool:

I went for a walk yesterday, 30th May, to look at more pillboxes in the Axe Valley.

A short distance north of the Axe Bridge, between Musbury and Boshill Cross, sits this delightful Block shuttered T24. I couldn't get close enough to look inside as it was on the opposite side of the stream. Mind you, I'd already tramped across a field and through several cow-pats, so I could have washed my boots off in the water! :D

pillboxes07.jpg

pillboxes08.jpg

pillboxes02.jpg

Nearer to the bridge is this lovely dilapidated T22 (also Block shuttered). Apart from the Coastal Artillery Searchlight emplacement on the sea front at Seaton, I'd never actually been inside a pillbox before, so being able to do so was really neat. I took a few pics inside but they weren't brilliant as it was very dark and I didn't have my tripod with me, so I set my camera on a slow shutter speed and hoped for the best.

pillboxes05.jpg

pillboxes06.jpg

pillboxes11.jpg

pillboxes09.jpg

South of the bridge sits this 6pdr Anti-Tank Gun emplacement. These pics were taken on 17th May on a previous visit, and as I was leaving a party of schoolchildren were arriving. I spoke to their teacher and she told me that all the schools in the area teach local WW2 defence studies and that it's also part of their GCSE course. Cool! :)

pillboxes04.jpg

pillboxes03.jpg

pillboxes13.jpg

In the field to the south are a pair of Vickers MMG emplacements. After taking some photos of one of them yesterday, I had to change the film, so will put the rest up when that's finished and developed. Meanwhile, here are a couple of pics of the top, sunken pillbox.

pillboxes10.jpg

pillboxes12.jpg

Cheers

Good afternoon Foxy,

Some really interesting WW2 structures there. The curved one is me fave -great to hear that in this day & age of computers & "political correctness", Schools are still teaching children about our important history & places connected with it :)

Thanks Foxy, enjoyed looking at these pics!

Lb:cool:

Cheers Lb,
Your comments are very much appreciated as always.
Yeh, it's great about the schools. Even the youngest kiddies do projects about them, apparently.
I have to say that the more I visit them myself the more I appreciate pillboxes, it that's at all possible. I've really fallen in love with the Boshill Cross T22! :D
Will go out again soon and visit some more.

Hey Lightbuoy
Just realised one of the things about pillboxes that I love so much. Apart from the incredible history behind them, each one is like a miniature piece of architure in it's own right, with all the character and personality that goes with it.
For instance, the T22 at Boshill Cross that I love is like the tiny, romantic cottage in the country with roses around the door, whereas the sunken Vickers MMG is like a cool, racy, clifftop Frank Lloyd Wright building. The 6pdr you like? A piece of Art Deco, methinks! HeeHee.
Cheers

Here are the rest of the pics of the Vickers MMG emplacements at Axmouth.

Sitting on one to take a photo of the other one further down the field.

umpillbox01.jpg

There's an oil drum wedged between the entrance and the outer wall. I think it might be there to stop sheep from getting inside and getting trapped.

umpillbox08.jpg

umpillbox07.jpg

umpillbox06.jpg

The inside taken through the front embrasure.

umpillbox04.jpg

In the next field south is a T24 pillbox. I took this one on the May 17th visit and had to take it from the road as the field was newly ploughed. On my subsequent visit of 29th May the crops were coming through. There may be a way to get closer, along the river, which I might try accessing on a future visit. It's a bit far away to see properly - you can just about make it out between the two trees in the centre.

pillboxes01.jpg

Only just realised today that I'd missed another T24 between the 6pdr and the two Vickers pillboxes, and one on the other side of the road, but will go back and try and fill in the gaps another time when I continue the quest! :D

Cheers

Foxylady;13647; said:
In the next field south is a T24 pillbox. I took this one on the May 17th visit and had to take it from the road as the field was newly ploughed. On my subsequent visit of 29th May the crops were coming through. There may be a way to get closer, along the river, which I might try accessing on a future visit. It's a bit far away to see properly - you can just about make it out between the two trees in the centre.

pillboxes01.jpg

See you think that's bad, they were spreading flaming muck when I was there!

Hence the photo I posted earlier in this thread...

DSC_7605.JPG

DSC_7593.JPG

:D

Cool pic, im guessing you didn't get any nearer then hehehe. that stuff stinks for miles, im surprised you got that close it it. yuck lol. the pill box is good tho.

theres a pillbox type structure in moorhouse not too far away from the old raf ossington site. its got the two pillboxs structures, one each side of the wooden door type gate. will try and get a pic of it later on in the week on one of my drive rounds lol. i presume it was something to do with ossington?

:) Sal

I thought that was the same one as the 'light mortar fire', Krela. Fortunately, there was no 'enemy activity' the day I went. ;)

Cheers

"P.s. -sorry peeps, but I don't know how to get the longitude / latitudes!"

Lat and long is in the bottom right of the Flatearth picture.

Sorry if this has already been said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back