WW2 Pillboxes UK

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
like the pics. love military stuff n pillboxes and the like. theres a few on the canal at whittlesey in cambridgeshire. some are bricked up tho and are in the trees. will have to keep my eyes open for a few more of em when im on my travels and put some pics up.

:) Sal

hi, used to have a couple horses in broomfield, chelmsford, essex on a farm, 50 acres of land (can't remember what called now, but also ran by bloke who owns the chelmsford equestrian centre! used to be a sluaghter house, still has naimals there but are are slaughtered elsewhere! also fruita and veg storage and delivery company running from!)

there's a pillbox anyway in the middle of the end field, there's no public footpath and is private land, so up to you! it's a regular pill box, sadly inside filled up with left over fencing, for storage and to stop teh ponies going in there apparently! grid reference i'm unsure of, but just off broomfield road, by petrol station!

Hi have seen a couple on Vale Bis Pk in LLandow, Near Cardiff. They again are on an industrial estate but free to roam only seen as driving past so not had a chance to go have a look yet.

Here's something I found recently that I thought might interest some of you, it's basically a standard type 24 pillbox, but instead of a straightforward door, it has a shaft and a ladder.

The reason for this so I'm led to believe is that the pillbox is built on the R. Arun floodplain, which is often submerged in winter, so the entrance was raised to keep the floods out.
It's visible from the Horsham-Guildford Road, and is about 200 yards NW of Dedisham Farm, Slinfold near Horsham, Grid Ref. TQ 106 328, but is a bit of a pest to get to. (AHDS/DoB Project Record here)

PIC_1837.jpg

The side facing toward the stop line (Guildford to Uckfield)

PIC_1846.jpg

The north side showing the raised shaft and ladder.

PIC_1839.jpg

Looking down the shaft, door on the right.

PIC_1840.jpg

As you can see, the waterproofing seems to have backfired, and the pillbox is now permanently flooded with stagnant rainwater.

OK so if it`s pill boxes you want you should try this.
If you are on the train from swindon to bristol parkway just as you pass under the M4 at wootton bassett in the field on the left you will see 2 pill boxes but can you spot the other 7 which all follow the railway line all the way to little somerford, when I`m that way next I`ll get a few pics for you.

Good hunting

Newage

Newage;8212; said:
OK so if it`s pill boxes you want you should try this.
If you are on the train from swindon to bristol parkway just as you pass under the M4 at wootton bassett in the field on the left you will see 2 pill boxes but can you spot the other 7 which all follow the railway line all the way to little somerford, when I`m that way next I`ll get a few pics for you.

Good hunting

Newage

Okay, now I'm going to have to go and look :rolleyes:

Heh :)

Small round pillbox, Sudbrook Camp, Monmouthshire.

apb1.jpg

Entrance, stink from inside was really bad so I didn't bother
with getting shots of the interior. Second severn bridge in
the background.

apb2.jpg

Few interior pics from a type 24 pillbox at RAF Weston Zoyland,
Somerset.

spbi1.jpg

Pipe with wing-nut for attaching a light machine gun.

spbi2.jpg

Doorway.

spbi3.jpg

In the miltary section of the galleries theres a few pages of
pics of Weston Zoyland, pillboxes, control tower, mortuary
etc.

Bishop :)

Thats surprising from what we could see from the outside whilst you wer in taking pic's it didnt look that nice or big.

Nice photo's though.

S

Two different pillboxes Sheep2405. Interiors pics are of a
hexagonal type 24 at RAF Weston Zoyland, Somerset.

B

For your delight and delectation, the world's first Pink Pillbox....

PICT1113.JPG

Jeez, pink and with decking thats really bad. Doesn't look in bad nick
though.

B :)

Bit of a weird one near Freshford, Wiltshire. Not a standard
design and totally different from any of the other pillboxes
in the area (Type 24's).

Aapb1.jpg

Interior.

Aapb2.jpg

Type 27 at RAF Yatesbury, large embrasure for the Vickers medium
machine gun.

Ayat1.jpg

Central pit of type 27 for anti aircraft defence, probably for a Lewis gun?

Ayat2.jpg

Type 27 interior.

Ayat3.jpg

B :)

OK I`v looked at the first post, have you taken a look at the online data base for the defence of Britain project.

First off goto http://www.britarch.ac.uk/projects/dob/index.html

Then you can goto the data base which is hosted by the Council for British Archaeology, 2002.

Goto :-http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/dob/

The data base is Very VERY big. good hunting

Newage

Theres a load of unusual round 'sunken mushroom' type ones at Long Marston Airfield, right up at the north end. Sorry I dont have pics on me as I'm at work but does anyone know what these ones might be? Theyre about 15 - 20 ft across and protrude up about 18" above the ground surface. The headroom isn't great and there's a handrail running around the inside, ust below the gun slot.

cardiffrail;9214; said:
Theres a load of unusual round 'sunken mushroom' type ones at Long Marston Airfield, right up at the north end. Sorry I dont have pics on me as I'm at work but does anyone know what these ones might be? Theyre about 15 - 20 ft across and protrude up about 18" above the ground surface. The headroom isn't great and there's a handrail running around the inside, ust below the gun slot.

Mushroom!

http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/mushroompage.htm

Here's a type 28 with mounting for a 6pdr hotchkiss gun:

DSC_2242_215680.JPG

DSC_2243_946293.JPG

DSC_2244.JPG

Nice example of a Vickers Medium Machine-gun post:

DSC_2228.JPG

DSC_2231.JPG

Finally got into the one at Silk Mills Bridge, Taunton

PICT1301.JPG

PICT1307.JPG