WW2 Pillboxes UK

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bishop;11419; said:
Talking of pulley systems I have read about a stretch of pillboxes along (I think?) the Kennet and Avon canal which had metal plates for protection over the embrasures which were opened and closed by some kind of pulley system.

I was tempted to reply with the words 'Aaaaarrrrgh! Men!', but I decided to restrain myself! ;)
Foxy :D :D :D

Foxylady;11511; said:
I was tempted to reply with the words 'Aaaaarrrrgh! Men!', but I decided to restrain myself! ;)
Foxy :D :D :D

Not to be picky, buuut that technically counts as a reply:lol::lol:

funny though!

Foxylady wrote.

I was tempted to reply with the words 'Aaaaarrrrgh! Men!', but I decided to restrain myself!

My Mrs sometimes says that or at least I think she does? It all depends on the power of my selective hearing at the time. Not only do I have selective hearing I think I might have dodgy eyes, sorry Foxylady no offence meant I missed your "say no more" comment.

B :)

Hey Sir B,

You're not wrong, that pillbox at Monton Farleigh sure is in a nice spot -even looks like there's already the makings of a rooftop garden!;)
Wonder how much these babies sell for? I remember there being a former ROC post for sale in Essex -think that went for about £15,000, if memory serves me correct.
Classic comedy moment with ol' Ned the horse -this UE lark is full of suprises!!!:lol:

Lb:cool:

Lightbuoy;11893; said:
I remember there being a former ROC post for sale in Essex -think that went for about £15,000, if memory serves me correct.

Do you happen to know what they did with it? just sounds like there has to be a story behind that buy

Ps. nice to see your back lightbuoy:)

WW2 defences at Chappel Viaduct, Essex.

Hi all,

I first noticed these pill boxes around 15 years back, when on a day out with me Olds at the steam museum at Chappel, around 10 miles n.e. of Colchester, Essex.
At the time, what was a mystery were the large concrete blocks & barrel like objects running from the pillbox to the road. Some fifteen years later, I popped back to get some decent pics, and my guess would be that thse blocks formed part of some kind of checkpoint, and these block were to prevent tanks and other vehicles from sneaking round?
Okay, so here are me long overdue pics from today's visit -hope that you'll enjoy them :)

Large gun pillbox with anti-tank obstacles.....
DSCN5485.png

DSCN5483.png

DSCN5490.png

DSCN5489.png

DSCN5493.png

DSCN5494.png

DSCN5497.png

DSCN5502.png

DSCN5508.png

DSCN5510.png

DSCN5513.png

DSCN5525.png

DSCN5546.png

DSCN5537.png

DSCN5562.png

DSCN5570.png

DSCN5574.png

WW2 defences at Chappel Viaduct, Essex. (CONTD.)

At the main road which passes underneath the viaduct and east of the large pillbox with blocks, is a smaller pillbox, perched above the road. My assumption (though perhaps not correct), would be that some kind of roadblock / checkpoint was set-up here during WW2, where any vehicles travelling along this road, would have to pass here (as the concrete obstacles stretching out from each side of the road would prevent the enemy from doing another sneaky "Maignot" manouvre!)
So, here's some pics of the road, with smaller pillbox, acting perhaps as a sentry role, above the road.

DSCN5575.png

DSCN5579.png

DSCN5580.png

DSCN5583.png

DSCN5586.png

DSCN5589.png

DSCN5591.png

DSCN5597.png

DSCN5599.png

DSCN5600.png

DSCN5601.png

DSCN5606.png

Very nice, seems like a strange place to build that but I suppose at the time every thing was different so I’ll let ‘em off!

Ps. What, err, creative graffiti the local chavs have written on the walls:lol:

Hey Lightbuoy thanks for posting the above pics, I love the cubes and the anti tank pillbox (one with large embrasure) is a bit of an odd beast, it looks like a T28 pillbox for the 2pdr gun but the holdfast (screws where the gun is fixed) look as though they're for the Hotchkiss 6pdr?

WW2 defences at Chappel Viaduct, Essex. (LAST LOT!)

Finally, here is what I would call a gun mount base (but am probably way out!):eek:
DSCN5480.png

DSCN5481.png

DSCN5607.png

DSCN5605.png

Also, a few pics of this marvellous viaduct -a feat of victorian engineering!
DSCN5473.png

DSCN5479.png

DSCN5459.png

DSCN5458.png

DSCN5465.png

DSCN5609.png

So, that's about it. Would be really interested if anyone out there knows anything about this site, or put me right on my inaccuracies!;)

P.s. -oh yes, the no. 159 to Trafalger Square?!!!..............
DSCN5518.png

King Al;11894; said:
Do you happen to know what they did with it? just sounds like there has to be a story behind that buy

Ps. nice to see your back lightbuoy:)

Ta very much King Al,

Finally settling into me new job at last, and now have a bit more spare time.
Think that the report said someone bought it as a secure store.

King Al;11898; said:
Very nice, seems like a strange place to build that but I suppose at the time every thing was different so I’ll let ‘em off!

Ps. What, err, creative graffiti the local chavs have written on the walls:lol:

Thanks. You're right, I reckon with the threat of immediate invasion, each area whacked up the defences in different ways, and in different places. Some of those reasons I'perhaps are long forgotten now.
Oh yes, meant to put a warning about those foulmouthed words before posting the pics! (Me favourite, which just about sums up the chavs around here, is this one...........)

DSCN5533.png

Note the spelling for The "Chappel" Crew!:rolleyes:

LB wrote.

Finally, here is what I would call a gun mount base (but am probably way out!)

Yes that is a holdfast (gun mount), it's for a Spigot Mortar, click the link below for a pic of a Spigot Mortar mounted on an identical base as to the pic you posted.

http://www.home-guard.org.uk/hg/spigot.html

The circle of screws in the anti tank pillbox is also a hold fast but just a different type, heres the pic of what I'm on about.

DSCN5497.png

Here's a pic of the Hotchkiss 6pdr, the type of gun that would have been fitted to the circular screw type holdfast pictured above.

WNBR_6pounder_pic.jpg

b

Bishop;11900; said:
Hey Lightbuoy thanks for posting the above pics, I love the cubes and the anti tank pillbox (one with large embrasure) is a bit of an odd beast, it looks like a T28 pillbox for the 2pdr gun but the holdfast (screws where the gun is fixed) look as though they're for the Hotchkiss 6pdr?

I guess that when they were built in a hurry, once intended for one type of gun, were modified / adapted for a different type?
Thanks for the info on the types of guns -to me, a pillbox is a pillbox, large or small, so it's much appreciated that you can identify the type!
Do you have any ideas why there are cylindrical obstacles as well as concrete blocks?

Hi Lb
I second KA, good to see you back.
Superb pics as always; a rather nice find there. I may be wildly wrong here, but isn't that a Spigot Mortar? Looks like one, but rather too close to the viaduct, I'd've thought.
Cheers
Foxy :)

Foxylady;11911; said:
Hi Lb
I second KA, good to see you back.
Superb pics as always; a rather nice find there. I may be wildly wrong here, but isn't that a Spigot Mortar? Looks like one, but rather too close to the viaduct, I'd've thought.
Cheers
Foxy :)

Hi again Foxy,

Thanks -good to be back. Hopefully will be more regular again with me visits to DP.
Yup, you're quite correct. See Bishop's link in his message.
True about the location, maybe of the station was captured, they could blow up the viaduct? -though it might take quite a few to chip away at those chunky supports!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back