Hello, new here and would love some advice!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Cat and I'm going to be homeless in a couple of weeks. I am not here angling to be a squatter!! Just want to make that very clear. I'll be living in my car for a couple of months until I either get back on my feet or I can get a flight home to Australia. I was wondering if any of you might know of an abandoned or disused or very quiet bit of land that I might be able to park on and have some privacy and safety?

I do not want to squat in a house or even go into a house. I will not be camping, won't have a tent or make fires or have any sort of semi-permanent fixtures and if I'm told to move I can just get in my car and drive away. Maybe a small fold up chair and table. The reason I'm looking for something like this is that I have my beloved 16 year old cat and she will not like moving around all the time. I don't want to sleep or park in public car parks or laybys due to the lack of privacy and not being able to let my cat out.

I'm just hoping to find a quiet little spot where I can park for a couple of months and feel safe and let my cat get familiar with the area so I can let her out of the car. I need mobile reception so I can use the internet and a tap or stream would be great but not necessary. I'm in mid-Devon and hope to stay in the South-West or South-East because of the warmer weather. I am really sorry if it's against the rules/ethics of the community to post this. Hope you are all safe and well and thanks for reading!

Cheers, Cat

Last edited:
Sad to hear about your predicament. There are people in the USA who have sold their house and just hopped into a RV (Mobile Home) and toured the country, also people have resorted to buy a yacht and gone sailing. I am resident in Scotland and there are plenty of places to "hide", but there are folk who live in the Devon area and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Sad to hear about your predicament. There are people in the USA who have sold their house and just hopped into a RV (Mobile Home) and toured the country, also people have resorted to buy a yacht and gone sailing. I am resident in Scotland and there are plenty of places to "hide", but there are folk who live in the Devon area and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Thank you so much, really appreciate the reply. I love Scotland, hope you have a lovely summer :)

Best of luck to you cat, I understand the problems of having an ageing cat along for the trip, I do hope you both keep well and safe. I'm in Australia so no use at all to you :)

Hello everyone, I'm Cat and I'm going to be homeless in a couple of weeks. I am not here angling to be a squatter!! Just want to make that very clear. I'll be living in my car for a couple of months until I either get back on my feet or I can get a flight home to Australia. I was wondering if any of you might know of an abandoned or disused or very quiet bit of land that I might be able to park on and have some privacy and safety?

I do not want to squat in a house or even go into a house. I will not be camping, won't have a tent or make fires or have any sort of semi-permanent fixtures and if I'm told to move I can just get in my car and drive away. Maybe a small fold up chair and table. The reason I'm looking for something like this is that I have my beloved 16 year old cat and she will not like moving around all the time. I don't want to sleep or park in public car parks or laybys due to the lack of privacy and not being able to let my cat out.

I'm just hoping to find a quiet little spot where I can park for a couple of months and feel safe and let my cat get familiar with the area so I can let her out of the car. I need mobile reception so I can use the internet and a tap or stream would be great but not necessary. I'm in mid-Devon and hope to stay in the South-West or South-East because of the warmer weather. I am really sorry if it's against the rules/ethics of the community to post this. Hope you are all safe and well and thanks for reading!

Cheers, Cat
If you're in mid-Devon, Cat, perhaps down one of the tracks off the roads that cross Dartmoor. Although mobile reception might be a problem. Somewhere near a stream for water should not be too difficult. Going back to my childhood in south Devon, mainly Staverton and Buckfastleigh, I used to go horseriding at a place called Hawson Court. It had acres of woodland, and someone lived there permanently in a old gypsy caravan. Where are you from in Oz? Back of Burke?!

Best of luck to you cat, I understand the problems of having an ageing cat along for the trip, I do hope you both keep well and safe. I'm in Australia so no use at all to you :)
Ahh thanks mate! Hopefully I'll be home soon :)

If you're in mid-Devon, Cat, perhaps down one of the tracks off the roads that cross Dartmoor. Although mobile reception might be a problem. Somewhere near a stream for water should not be too difficult. Going back to my childhood in south Devon, mainly Staverton and Buckfastleigh, I used to go horseriding at a place called Hawson Court. It had acres of woodland, and someone lived there permanently in a old gypsy caravan. Where are you from in Oz? Back of Burke?!
Oh amazing, I didn't think of Dartmoor as assumed it would be crawling with hikers and tourists. I googled around and it looks like there might be some good hidey holes there. Haha I'm from Central Queensland so yeah definitely beyond the black stump. Used to roughing it camping and mustering so a stint in the car doesn't bother me, it's just my poor old cat I'm worried about. Thanks heaps, really appreciate it!

Oh amazing, I didn't think of Dartmoor as assumed it would be crawling with hikers and tourists. I googled around and it looks like there might be some good hidey holes there. Haha I'm from Central Queensland so yeah definitely beyond the black stump. Used to roughing it camping and mustering so a stint in the car doesn't bother me, it's just my poor old cat I'm worried about. Thanks heaps, really appreciate it!
I don't know how troubled with emmets and grockles it is at present, but if you stay away from places such as Princetown and Widecombe you should be all right. Whereabouts in Central Qld? I've backpacked around Oz and NZ, also worked in both countries. I hit Birdsville for the race weekend, and then got a lift down the Track.

Out near Emerald. Aww good old Birdsville, hope you had an ace time!

Hello and I’m very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you find a quiet place to remain until you get back home. All the best and please keep in touch xx

Latest posts

Back